Jun 14, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
In the past couple of weeks we’ve heard Roy Oswalt say that he’d waive his no-trade clause to go “an organization that wants to win.” They all want to win, of course, so that doesn’t say much. Neither, really, does Oswalt fielding questions about specific teams. Oswalt is a nice young southern gentleman, so I’m sure he was taught that it was rude to disparage people in public. The Nats? Sure, why not. The Yankees? Can’t rule it out! How about the Mets?
A player who is friendly with Roy Oswalt says
the Astros right-hander would “definitely” accept a trade to the Mets
if they remain in the playoff hunt. But the fact Oswalt is
still owed about $30 million through 2011 makes it extremely unlikely
the Mets would pursue him. The player who is friendly with
Oswalt said the right-hander likes the veteran fiber of the Mets.
Oswalt was long thought to prefer the National League and smaller cities closer to his offseason home down south. Now that he’s said OK to the Mets, the Yankees and the Nationals — more or less — none of that seems to apply. Or maybe he’s just saying that, yes, hypothetically he’d accept anything. It seems, though, that the more reports like this we hear, the less meaningful they truly are.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)