Stephen Strasburg: NL Player of the week

Jun 14, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT

Stephen Strasburg has been named the NL Player of the week.

I find this rather surprising. Based on everything we’ve seen and heard, one would think that he’d be at least worthy of player of the half-century.

1. Infinite Wisdom - Jun 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Rumor has it that Strasburg will be on the next Hall of Fame Ballot. He’s expected to be inducted unanimously.

2. Benny Blanco - Jun 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM

The hype is ridiculous.
    Matt Cain and Mike Pelfrey has better numbers this past week as 2 start pitchers go.

3. Strasburg fan - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM

The heading says that he is the NL player of the year. The fact that he plays in the AL should tell you something.

4. Strasburg fan - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

5. ecp - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Agreed. I’m sure you could make a case for a few position players too, since there is only one award per league per week and position players and pitchers are lumped together.
    I’m a bit tired of the hype, and I’m a huge pitching fan. MLB Network had to break down his first start inning by inning, which was fine, but they did it on Tuesday…and then again Wednesday…and then again Thursday…and probably again Friday, but I wasn’t watching…all by different sets of analysts. It was like nobody else existed.
    I’ll probably root for the White Sox to bomb him on Friday, just out of sheer spite.

6. Stephen Strasburg - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Actually, I play in the NL. (Washington Nationals are in the NL)

7. scatterbrian - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Not really a big deal, is it? It’s a weekly novelty award that is voted on by who cares and sponsored by couldn’t care less.
    The suggestion that he could/should be an All-Star is kind of ridiculous, however, and even that is a novelty.
    Captcha: shortly diddled….that’s the only way I know how.

8. Charles Gates - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Just as there are different interpretations of ‘Most Valuable Player,’ I’m fine with this (meaningless) designation. Rarely do we have prospects with this much hype, and even more rare are the ones that live up to it out of the box. If you look at it macro-wise, what other player generated as much pro-MLB buzz, backed up loosely with statistical value?
    But before I name my unborn son Strasburg Gates, let me see him go through the league a coupla times.

9. scatterbrian - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Excellent point Charles. This season, I’ve had non-baseball fans ask me about Dallas Braden, Armando Galarraga/Jim Joyce, and Stephen Strasburg.

10. Infinite Wisdom - Jun 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Yes. It tells us that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3499)