Jun 14, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
Heyman’s new column is mostly about the starting pitching market, but there’s not a ton new there. Here’s something interesting, though: the Cubs management is worried about Lou Piniella’s health.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been thinking this. Watching Piniella make that pitching change in the ninth last night was highly uncomfortable. I suppose it’s possible that his slow walk was to give Carlos Marmol a few extra pitches, but this is not the first time I’ve noticed it during Cubs games. He’s got this slow heel-toe thing going on — not to mention the beach ball gut — that I’ve noticed in relatives whose health was on the decline. I mean, getting fat is one thing, but carrying an anvil in front of an otherwise normal body just looks kind of . . . scary.
I obviously have no idea what the state of Piniella’s health is — I’m just reacting emotionally to what I’ve seen of him — and I obviously hope he’s fine. But the look about him combined with what Heyman’s sources with the Cubs are saying is rather unsettling.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)