The Cubs are worried about Piniella's health

Jun 14, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for piniella_090818.jpgHeyman’s new column is mostly about the starting pitching market, but there’s not a ton new there.  Here’s something interesting, though: the Cubs management is worried about Lou Piniella’s health.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been thinking this.  Watching Piniella make that pitching change in the ninth last night was highly uncomfortable. I suppose it’s possible that his slow walk was to give Carlos Marmol a few extra pitches, but this is not the first time I’ve noticed it during Cubs games. He’s got this slow heel-toe thing going on — not to mention the beach ball gut — that I’ve noticed in relatives whose health was on the decline. I mean, getting fat is one thing, but carrying an anvil in front of an otherwise normal body just looks kind of . . . scary.

I obviously have no idea what the state of Piniella’s health is — I’m just reacting emotionally to what I’ve seen of him — and I obviously hope he’s fine.  But the look about him combined with what Heyman’s sources with the Cubs are saying is rather unsettling.

1. Spokes - Jun 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Piniella’s being doing that heel-to-toe march since his managing days in Seattle, from as far as I can remember. That’s nothing new or troubling.
    But that gut has been dangerously expanding into third-trimester form.

2. Jamie - Jun 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM

While the gut is a little disconcerting, the slow-walking, unshaven, angry (and slightly confused) Piniella tends to show up during prolonged periods of losing. He hasn’t looked this bad since Tampa, but he hasn’t had a team this bad since then, either.

3. kerpal - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

It looks like he needs to lay off the beer . It looks like a beer gut that he’s got going on . I’m just sayin .

4. al - Jun 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Craig, you are in big trouble – you should have talked to Lou first so he could explain his side of the story. After all, you’ve never managed a Major League Baseball game, have you?

5. BToney - Jun 15, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Lots of wins for Lou but waaay to emotional of a guy who learned to lose in Seattle under horrible GM and owner. The Cubs are also horrible now and Lou’s managing years are running short. Not enough talent, same as in Seattle. Combine those two and you have an angry, sad, beyond emotional mess of a guy. Plus, Chicago deep dish can do that to a guy. Salad Lou..SALAD!!

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3426)