Jun 14, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
Heyman’s new column is mostly about the starting pitching market, but there’s not a ton new there. Here’s something interesting, though: the Cubs management is worried about Lou Piniella’s health.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been thinking this. Watching Piniella make that pitching change in the ninth last night was highly uncomfortable. I suppose it’s possible that his slow walk was to give Carlos Marmol a few extra pitches, but this is not the first time I’ve noticed it during Cubs games. He’s got this slow heel-toe thing going on — not to mention the beach ball gut — that I’ve noticed in relatives whose health was on the decline. I mean, getting fat is one thing, but carrying an anvil in front of an otherwise normal body just looks kind of . . . scary.
I obviously have no idea what the state of Piniella’s health is — I’m just reacting emotionally to what I’ve seen of him — and I obviously hope he’s fine. But the look about him combined with what Heyman’s sources with the Cubs are saying is rather unsettling.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)