Jun 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
While Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram poured some cold water on Craig’s report about Roy Oswalt, he added that the Rangers have spoken with the Orioles about Ty Wigginton and the Marlins about Wes Helms. The club is currently seeking a right-handed bat to serve as the primary backup at first base and third base.
It makes plenty of sense for the Rangers to get some sort of veteran steward behind rookie first baseman Justin Smoak. We’re still talking about a pretty small sample size here, but the 23-year-old switch-hitter is batting .272/.395/.466 in 103 at-bats against right-handers compared to a meager .096/.186/.192 triple-slash in 52 at-bats against southpaws. He put up similar splits on the minor league level, so it would behoove them to acquire a complimentary right-handed bat if they hope to contend in the American League West.
Just earlier today, Aaron mentioned that the Rangers were in the mix for Conor Jackson while on Friday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported that the Rangers were still in talks to acquire Mike Lowell from the Red Sox. Boy, those crazy kids have quickly become the best “will they or won’t they” storyline since Jim and Pam. Synergy, folks!
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)