Jun 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
While Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram poured some cold water on Craig’s report about Roy Oswalt, he added that the Rangers have spoken with the Orioles about Ty Wigginton and the Marlins about Wes Helms. The club is currently seeking a right-handed bat to serve as the primary backup at first base and third base.
It makes plenty of sense for the Rangers to get some sort of veteran steward behind rookie first baseman Justin Smoak. We’re still talking about a pretty small sample size here, but the 23-year-old switch-hitter is batting .272/.395/.466 in 103 at-bats against right-handers compared to a meager .096/.186/.192 triple-slash in 52 at-bats against southpaws. He put up similar splits on the minor league level, so it would behoove them to acquire a complimentary right-handed bat if they hope to contend in the American League West.
Just earlier today, Aaron mentioned that the Rangers were in the mix for Conor Jackson while on Friday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported that the Rangers were still in talks to acquire Mike Lowell from the Red Sox. Boy, those crazy kids have quickly become the best “will they or won’t they” storyline since Jim and Pam. Synergy, folks!
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)