What's with the Adrian Beltre head rub thing?

Jun 14, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT

I realize this is over a week old and that Sox fans were all over it, but it completely eluded my radar, so it likely eluded the radar of others as well:

After Adrian Beltre clubbed a home run in Friday night’s game,
television cameras caught him in the dugout taking what looked like a
serious swing at catcher Victor Martinez. Turns out, he was taking a swing, and there was a perfectly good
explanation – if you’re someone who doesn’t like having their head
touched.

Martinez and Beltre are friends, but in the home run celebration,
Martinez touched the top of Beltre’s head — and the third baseman said
that’s something his fellow players know he absolutely hates. Beltre
reacted immediately, lashing out at Martinez.

The two were smiling throughout, but Beltre definitely put some force
behind his good-natured swing at Martinez.

“He knows I don’t like that. I don’t like anybody to touch my head,
and he knows it. He does it on purpose. So I’m not responsible for
everything that happens after that happens,” Beltre said.

Doesn’t saying something like this basically guarantee you a lifetime of head rubbing? It’s the equivalent of “psycho” from “Stripes” telling the platoon that he doesn’t like being called Francis.

Anyway, this would be a lot more interesting, I think, if the Sox were still struggling. Someone could legitimately get cold-cocked.

1. John Winger - Jun 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it’s usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it’s not just the uniform. It’s the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

2. Josh - Jun 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I killed a guy with a trident.

3. JBerardi - Jun 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I’m getting the sense that Beltre is just kind of a weird dude. He certainly has more on-field personality than anyone I’ve seen since Julian Tavarez.

4. Fop or Dapper Dan - Jun 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM

“Doesn’t saying something like this basically guarantee you a lifetime of head rubbing?”
    We’ll there is that deterrent of being punched in the face by a very large man, so no.

5. Seth - Jun 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

He also does his own appeal to first base to get himself dinged on a check swing. Nobody ever told him to just act like he didn’t swing. Maybe he’s into radical honesty.
    “Blue, I think maybe I swung…check for me?”

6. Cru11 - Jun 14, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5536)