Jun 15, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Chipper Jones is not available to the media in advance of tonight’s Braves-Rays game, but Dave O’Brien caught up with Bobby Cox a few minutes ago and asked him about today’s confusion over Jones’ retirement (or not). Cox:
The best I can say
is he’s planning on retiring after this year, but we won’t know until
he tells you guys.
My view of this is that, yeah, Jones is retiring. It’s not, as some of you clever wags have said in the comments, a Brett Favre situation where Jones can’t make up his mind. Rather, it’s a media situation in which Jones and/or the team can’t get comfortable with the best way to announce it so that it both (a) does Chipper and his legacy justice; and (b) doesn’t distract from preparation for a tough series like the one against the Rays.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 228
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (228)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (103)