Jun 15, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Chipper Jones is not available to the media in advance of tonight’s Braves-Rays game, but Dave O’Brien caught up with Bobby Cox a few minutes ago and asked him about today’s confusion over Jones’ retirement (or not). Cox:
The best I can say
is he’s planning on retiring after this year, but we won’t know until
he tells you guys.
My view of this is that, yeah, Jones is retiring. It’s not, as some of you clever wags have said in the comments, a Brett Favre situation where Jones can’t make up his mind. Rather, it’s a media situation in which Jones and/or the team can’t get comfortable with the best way to announce it so that it both (a) does Chipper and his legacy justice; and (b) doesn’t distract from preparation for a tough series like the one against the Rays.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)