Jun 15, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
Jerry Manuel weeps. Yes, Carlos Beltran played in another extended spring training game on Tuesday, but Mets general manager Omar Minaya said that he will not go out on a minor league rehab assignment this week, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
“I don’t see it this week,” Minaya said about Beltran entering an
official minor league game, which would start a 20-day clock to be
activated. “We are getting closer to that because he is continuing work
out, to swing the bat, to run. Like all these things, of course, it’s
how does he feel the next day? So far there hasn’t been a setback. We
hope there’s not a setback. … I mean, he’s still not all there.”
Most sane Mets fans were expecting this news, but perhaps the most interesting tidbit to emerge from Rubin’s report is that a team official says Beltran still “limps somewhat while running.” It’s still very early in his rehab, but that’s hardly a good sign.
In turn, Minaya was asked if the team had considered asking Beltran to play some right field.
“I have not brought that up to him,” Minaya said. “There’s progress. At
what point in time does he get the leg strong to the point that he’s
able to accelerate, explode — those are going to be the key things.
Right now, it’s getting better, but we’re not there yet.”
Aside from designated hitter duty, Beltran has only made five starts outside of center field during his career. He last played right field for three games during the 2000 season with the Royals.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 66
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 36
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)