Jun 15, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
Jerry Manuel weeps. Yes, Carlos Beltran played in another extended spring training game on Tuesday, but Mets general manager Omar Minaya said that he will not go out on a minor league rehab assignment this week, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
“I don’t see it this week,” Minaya said about Beltran entering an
official minor league game, which would start a 20-day clock to be
activated. “We are getting closer to that because he is continuing work
out, to swing the bat, to run. Like all these things, of course, it’s
how does he feel the next day? So far there hasn’t been a setback. We
hope there’s not a setback. … I mean, he’s still not all there.”
Most sane Mets fans were expecting this news, but perhaps the most interesting tidbit to emerge from Rubin’s report is that a team official says Beltran still “limps somewhat while running.” It’s still very early in his rehab, but that’s hardly a good sign.
In turn, Minaya was asked if the team had considered asking Beltran to play some right field.
“I have not brought that up to him,” Minaya said. “There’s progress. At
what point in time does he get the leg strong to the point that he’s
able to accelerate, explode — those are going to be the key things.
Right now, it’s getting better, but we’re not there yet.”
Aside from designated hitter duty, Beltran has only made five starts outside of center field during his career. He last played right field for three games during the 2000 season with the Royals.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 0
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 29
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 20
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)