Jun 15, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
Jerry Manuel weeps. Yes, Carlos Beltran played in another extended spring training game on Tuesday, but Mets general manager Omar Minaya said that he will not go out on a minor league rehab assignment this week, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
“I don’t see it this week,” Minaya said about Beltran entering an
official minor league game, which would start a 20-day clock to be
activated. “We are getting closer to that because he is continuing work
out, to swing the bat, to run. Like all these things, of course, it’s
how does he feel the next day? So far there hasn’t been a setback. We
hope there’s not a setback. … I mean, he’s still not all there.”
Most sane Mets fans were expecting this news, but perhaps the most interesting tidbit to emerge from Rubin’s report is that a team official says Beltran still “limps somewhat while running.” It’s still very early in his rehab, but that’s hardly a good sign.
In turn, Minaya was asked if the team had considered asking Beltran to play some right field.
“I have not brought that up to him,” Minaya said. “There’s progress. At
what point in time does he get the leg strong to the point that he’s
able to accelerate, explode — those are going to be the key things.
Right now, it’s getting better, but we’re not there yet.”
Aside from designated hitter duty, Beltran has only made five starts outside of center field during his career. He last played right field for three games during the 2000 season with the Royals.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)