Jun 15, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
Jerry Manuel weeps. Yes, Carlos Beltran played in another extended spring training game on Tuesday, but Mets general manager Omar Minaya said that he will not go out on a minor league rehab assignment this week, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
“I don’t see it this week,” Minaya said about Beltran entering an
official minor league game, which would start a 20-day clock to be
activated. “We are getting closer to that because he is continuing work
out, to swing the bat, to run. Like all these things, of course, it’s
how does he feel the next day? So far there hasn’t been a setback. We
hope there’s not a setback. … I mean, he’s still not all there.”
Most sane Mets fans were expecting this news, but perhaps the most interesting tidbit to emerge from Rubin’s report is that a team official says Beltran still “limps somewhat while running.” It’s still very early in his rehab, but that’s hardly a good sign.
In turn, Minaya was asked if the team had considered asking Beltran to play some right field.
“I have not brought that up to him,” Minaya said. “There’s progress. At
what point in time does he get the leg strong to the point that he’s
able to accelerate, explode — those are going to be the key things.
Right now, it’s getting better, but we’re not there yet.”
Aside from designated hitter duty, Beltran has only made five starts outside of center field during his career. He last played right field for three games during the 2000 season with the Royals.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)