Jun 15, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a groin strain, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Billingsley told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he suffered the injury during last Friday’s start against the Angels.
“In the sixth inning, I threw a pitch, I just felt it grab,” he said.
He underwent an MRI on Monday that revealed no structural damage, however the Dodgers decided to place him on the disabled list because he was unable throw a bullpen session on Tuesday without significant discomfort.
The 25-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.34 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over his first 13 starts this season.
On a related note, according to Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts, Torre said that Vicente Padilla will return from the disabled list to start against the Red Sox on Saturday. Rule 5 pick Carlos Monasterios was originally expected to move back to the bullpen upon his return, but with the injury to Billingsley, he will remain in the starting rotation. The 24-year-old right-hander has a 3.97 ERA over five starts this season and a 2.98 ERA overall.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)