Jun 15, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a groin strain, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Billingsley told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he suffered the injury during last Friday’s start against the Angels.
“In the sixth inning, I threw a pitch, I just felt it grab,” he said.
He underwent an MRI on Monday that revealed no structural damage, however the Dodgers decided to place him on the disabled list because he was unable throw a bullpen session on Tuesday without significant discomfort.
The 25-year-old right-hander is 6-4 with a 4.34 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over his first 13 starts this season.
On a related note, according to Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts, Torre said that Vicente Padilla will return from the disabled list to start against the Red Sox on Saturday. Rule 5 pick Carlos Monasterios was originally expected to move back to the bullpen upon his return, but with the injury to Billingsley, he will remain in the starting rotation. The 24-year-old right-hander has a 3.97 ERA over five starts this season and a 2.98 ERA overall.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)