Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Reports yesterday had the Rangers pursuing Conor Jackson but this afternoon the Diamondbacks traded him to a different AL West team, sending Jackson to the A’s for right-handed reliever prospect Sam Demel.
Jackson missed most of last season with valley fever and has struggled to bounce back this year, hitting just .238 with one homer and a .657 OPS in 42 games. He was a solid hitter from 2006-2008, posting an OPS above .800 each year, but while still just 28 years old Jackson is making $3.1 million and could be a non-tender candidate this winter if he doesn’t get on track in the second half.
Demel was the A’s third-round pick in 2007 and has good stuff, with an average fastball around 92-94 miles per hour and 200 strikeouts in 180.2 innings as a minor leaguer. His control is iffy, but Demel has a 2.61 ERA and 61/30 K/BB ratio in 61 innings at Triple-A and projects as a potential late-inning reliever. Still, that he’s the guy going to Arizona in a 1-for-1 deal shows just how far Jackson’s stock has declined.
While cutting bait on Jackson doesn’t necessarily have any impact on the Diamondbacks’ plans, he might be the first player out the door in a more extensive rebuilding effort that could include Adam LaRoche, Chris Snyder, Kelly Johnson, Aaron Heilman, and perhaps even Dan Haren.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)