Jun 15, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
Erick Aybar was in obvious pain and had to be helped off the field last night after suffering what appeared to be a significant leg injury as a result of Casey McGehee sliding into him while trying to break up a double play.
MLB.com has video of the play, which includes the announcers saying they thought McGehee’s slide was on the dirty (or at least unnecessary) side.
My sense is that McGehee’s “slide” wasn’t all that different than what goes on trying to break up double plays every day, but the appearance and result were much worse because Aybar was in such a vulnerable position with his leg fully extended and totally unprotected (he had to reach back to snag an off-line throw and then find the base with his foot).
Fortunately for the Angels it sounds like Aybar somehow avoided a serious injury. He’ll likely undergo further testing today, but the initial diagnosis is merely a hyper-extended left knee and it’s possible that he may not even need a disabled list stint. Maicer Izturis will slide from third base to shortstop for however long Aybar is out, perhaps opening the door for Brandon Wood to get one last chance to play regularly at the hot corner.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)