HBT Extra: Oswalt, Backman and PETA, oh my!

Jun 15, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT

HBT Extra comes at you a day early today because I had to have that jacket I wear back to the rental shop by 5pm today or else they’d charge me for another week.

1. APBA Guy - Jun 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

She’s SO cute. Oh, and Craig, nice jacket.

2. walk - Jun 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Lol, good one craig. I was just thinking you need to pull stick out and lighten up, next thing i know im laughing about fish crim in miami and realising i just got smacked said stick. even better captcha who ottered

3. scatterbrian - Jun 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Mmmm, fish sticks.

4. Carroll - Jun 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Trade-o-meter or tradometer?

5. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I’m all for giving Wally Backman his shot. He was a joy to watch with the Mutts – teamed with Ray Knight, Rafael Santana and Keith Hernandez in that terrific Mutts infield in 1986. Backman was famous for never coming back to the clubhouse after a game with a clean jersey. If it took a slide, a takeout, a bellyflop, Backman would do whatever was necessary to beat you. I don’t give a damn about his divorce or his bankruptcy where his managerial job is concerned. I’d love to see him manage the Feesh instead of Phlegmatic Phreddi, but if Scrooge McLoria’s eggshell ego couldn’t handle Joe Girardi even after he took a “market adjusted” team of rookies and scrubeenies much farther than anyone ever expected, I can’t imagine how he’d handle Wally Backman.

6. Roy Mabe,Jr. - Jun 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Where will Roy Oswalt go?He would be a good fit with several clubs,including the Yankees,Mets,White Sox,and Rangers.Where will he end up?Atlanta, because they need pitching and the Braves are looking to get back on the winning track.

7. GimmeSomeSteel - Jun 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM

From the viewpoint of a community theater actor–Good performance, Craig. Unlike most people on video or TV, you don’t flail your arms about in “American Idol” style, looking like a spastic Yorkie. Nice, calm demeanor, not at all demonstrative.
    Getting back to one subject–PETA, an organization I loathe, is both right and wrong in this case. Wrong to go public as they always seem to do, a move that always hardens the other side’s resistance. Right in opposing these aquariums (aquarii?) at field level. Anyone who’s ever had a fish tank knows what even tapping on the glass does to the fish; they get stressed and shocked by the motion. Put the fish tanks in the outfield and they could be a good “feature”; around the plate could wind up killing the fish. Damn, I hate to say that PETA is right.

8. JBerardi - Jun 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Fishtanks in a ballpark… the mind recoils in horror. Couldn’t they just burn some flags or do a “Death to America” chant for the seventh inning stretch? I feel like that would be less damaging to our national heritage.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3015)