Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
“Manny would call you and tell you, ‘I’ll meet you in a little bit to go
eat at 12.’ You would be there until two and Manny wouldn’t show up.
That’s him, that’s the way he is.”
– David Ortiz, providing a longer synonym for “Manny being Manny.”
Not that the quote is some great revelation. I mostly use it as an excuse to link to Rob Bradford’s lengthy piece in which Ortiz talks a lot about Ramirez and their relationship.
The thing that sticks out: yet another example of an off-the-field narrative writers like to give us — in this case, Manny and Big Papi are big buddies — being shown to be a lot more complicated than was initially portrayed. They were friendly at the ballpark and had no relationship to speak of off the field. Not chilly or anything, they’re just different people.
It’s this kind of thing that makes me dismiss most of the human interest angles you hear about current players. At least those who are at the top of their game or are currently capturing the zeitgeist. There’s so much PR involved on the players’ side and so many preconceived narratives on the writers’ side that I think it’s pretty rare that we get a great deal of insight from these kinds of things. Only now, when Manny and Big Papi are in the twilight of their careers, does the initial narrative start to melt away.
Sports Illustrated does it pretty well when they go super in-depth on guys, and when the focus is some external event — like a tragedy or something off-the-wall — we often get an insightful glimpse into the minds and lives of top players. But for the most part we’re best served to wait for the biography to figure out what’s really going on in these players’ lives.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)