Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
“Manny would call you and tell you, ‘I’ll meet you in a little bit to go
eat at 12.’ You would be there until two and Manny wouldn’t show up.
That’s him, that’s the way he is.”
– David Ortiz, providing a longer synonym for “Manny being Manny.”
Not that the quote is some great revelation. I mostly use it as an excuse to link to Rob Bradford’s lengthy piece in which Ortiz talks a lot about Ramirez and their relationship.
The thing that sticks out: yet another example of an off-the-field narrative writers like to give us — in this case, Manny and Big Papi are big buddies — being shown to be a lot more complicated than was initially portrayed. They were friendly at the ballpark and had no relationship to speak of off the field. Not chilly or anything, they’re just different people.
It’s this kind of thing that makes me dismiss most of the human interest angles you hear about current players. At least those who are at the top of their game or are currently capturing the zeitgeist. There’s so much PR involved on the players’ side and so many preconceived narratives on the writers’ side that I think it’s pretty rare that we get a great deal of insight from these kinds of things. Only now, when Manny and Big Papi are in the twilight of their careers, does the initial narrative start to melt away.
Sports Illustrated does it pretty well when they go super in-depth on guys, and when the focus is some external event — like a tragedy or something off-the-wall — we often get an insightful glimpse into the minds and lives of top players. But for the most part we’re best served to wait for the biography to figure out what’s really going on in these players’ lives.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 72
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 26
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)