Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
“Manny would call you and tell you, ‘I’ll meet you in a little bit to go
eat at 12.’ You would be there until two and Manny wouldn’t show up.
That’s him, that’s the way he is.”
– David Ortiz, providing a longer synonym for “Manny being Manny.”
Not that the quote is some great revelation. I mostly use it as an excuse to link to Rob Bradford’s lengthy piece in which Ortiz talks a lot about Ramirez and their relationship.
The thing that sticks out: yet another example of an off-the-field narrative writers like to give us — in this case, Manny and Big Papi are big buddies — being shown to be a lot more complicated than was initially portrayed. They were friendly at the ballpark and had no relationship to speak of off the field. Not chilly or anything, they’re just different people.
It’s this kind of thing that makes me dismiss most of the human interest angles you hear about current players. At least those who are at the top of their game or are currently capturing the zeitgeist. There’s so much PR involved on the players’ side and so many preconceived narratives on the writers’ side that I think it’s pretty rare that we get a great deal of insight from these kinds of things. Only now, when Manny and Big Papi are in the twilight of their careers, does the initial narrative start to melt away.
Sports Illustrated does it pretty well when they go super in-depth on guys, and when the focus is some external event — like a tragedy or something off-the-wall — we often get an insightful glimpse into the minds and lives of top players. But for the most part we’re best served to wait for the biography to figure out what’s really going on in these players’ lives.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)