Quote of the Day: David Ortiz on Manny Ramirez

Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM EST

“Manny would call you and tell you, ‘I’ll meet you in a little bit to go
eat at 12.’ You would be there until two and Manny wouldn’t show up.
That’s him, that’s the way he is.”

David Ortiz, providing a longer synonym for “Manny being Manny.”

Not that the quote is some great revelation. I mostly use it as an excuse to link to Rob Bradford’s lengthy piece in which Ortiz talks a lot about Ramirez and their relationship.

The thing that sticks out: yet another example of an off-the-field narrative writers like to give us — in this case, Manny and Big Papi are big buddies — being shown to be a lot more complicated than was initially portrayed. They were friendly at the ballpark and had no relationship to speak of off the field. Not chilly or anything, they’re just different people.

It’s this kind of thing that makes me dismiss most of the human interest angles you hear about current players. At least those who are at the top of their game or are currently capturing the zeitgeist. There’s so much PR involved on the players’ side and so many preconceived narratives on the writers’ side that I think it’s pretty rare that we get a great deal of insight from these kinds of things.  Only now, when Manny and Big Papi are in the twilight of their careers, does the initial narrative start to melt away.

Sports Illustrated does it pretty well when they go super in-depth on guys, and when the focus is some external event — like a tragedy or something off-the-wall — we often get an insightful glimpse into the minds and lives of top players. But for the most part we’re best served to wait for the biography to figure out what’s really going on in these players’ lives.

1. Derek Fisher Looks Like Gordon From Sesame Street - Jun 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I don’t think we’re dealing with two of the greatest minds in Western Civilization here. Nothing either of them say surprises me.

2. Joey B - Jun 15, 2010 at 2:02 PM

“They were friendly at the ballpark and had no relationship to speak of off the field. Not chilly or anything, they’re just different people.”
    Possibly the most insightful thing I’ve read here. I must have read 1000 articles about two players being best friends. Then I wonder why two guys who live in different states, and sometimes countries, that never played together in the pros or minors, are best friends.
    Not to mention personalities. I’m sure that guys like Pettitte and Clemens are friendly, but they don’t strike me as guys with shared interests. Would someone like Jeter have run into ARod often enough in the off-season to become BFFs?
    How many people at work are truly BFFs? I like going out after work with the crew, but that makes us friendly, not necessarily friends, let alone good friends.

3. (Not That) Tom - Jun 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM

It’s probably because Ortiz never wanted to play spies with Manny and Papelbon.

4. Tony A - Jun 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The “dumbing down” of America. Our people don’t know the difference between an “acquaintance” and a “friend”, everyone we know and don’t dislike becomes a friend, and “friend” suddenly becomes a less valued, less understood concept. Oh, and, our voters do know the difference between a “good idea” and a “good law”…

5. (Not That) Tom - Jun 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM

You tell ‘em, Steve-Dave!

6. uncle jumpy - Jun 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Those two should be called the original village idiots. Talk about eating out of the same trough .

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester