Jun 15, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s not willing to recall Alex Gordon from the minors despite the former No. 2 overall pick’s great numbers at Triple-A, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he’ll be looking to trade veterans between now and the July 31 deadline.
David DeJesus figures to be the most attractive target for many teams, as the 30-year-old can play anywhere in the outfield and is currently sporting career-highs in batting average (.314), on-base percentage (.392), and slugging percentage (.479). He’s also signed for reasonable money through next season, making $4.7 million this year with a $6 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011.
Moore said that he expects “a busy trade market” because the Royals have “some nice pieces” to deal and “will evaluate what comes our way if anything does come our way.” However, my guess is that Moore is dramatically overestimating the market for guys like Jose Guillen, Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik, Willie Bloomquist, Kyle Farnsworth, and basically anyone not named DeJesus.
Kansas City might be able to unload a couple of those mediocre veterans, but they certainly won’t be getting anything resembling promising prospects in return for them and in the meantime the Royals are wasting at-bats on 30-somethings while 20-somethings like Gordon and Kila Ka’aihue crush Triple-A pitching. In the past three offseasons Moore has spent $80 million on Guillen, Ankiel, Podsednik, Farnsworth, Bloomquist, Jason Kendall, Ron Mahay, Brett Tomko, Juan Cruz, Horacio Ramirez, and John Bale. Seriously.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 8
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 28
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)