Jun 15, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
He’s not willing to recall Alex Gordon from the minors despite the former No. 2 overall pick’s great numbers at Triple-A, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he’ll be looking to trade veterans between now and the July 31 deadline.
David DeJesus figures to be the most attractive target for many teams, as the 30-year-old can play anywhere in the outfield and is currently sporting career-highs in batting average (.314), on-base percentage (.392), and slugging percentage (.479). He’s also signed for reasonable money through next season, making $4.7 million this year with a $6 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011.
Moore said that he expects “a busy trade market” because the Royals have “some nice pieces” to deal and “will evaluate what comes our way if anything does come our way.” However, my guess is that Moore is dramatically overestimating the market for guys like Jose Guillen, Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik, Willie Bloomquist, Kyle Farnsworth, and basically anyone not named DeJesus.
Kansas City might be able to unload a couple of those mediocre veterans, but they certainly won’t be getting anything resembling promising prospects in return for them and in the meantime the Royals are wasting at-bats on 30-somethings while 20-somethings like Gordon and Kila Ka’aihue crush Triple-A pitching. In the past three offseasons Moore has spent $80 million on Guillen, Ankiel, Podsednik, Farnsworth, Bloomquist, Jason Kendall, Ron Mahay, Brett Tomko, Juan Cruz, Horacio Ramirez, and John Bale. Seriously.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)