Jun 15, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s not willing to recall Alex Gordon from the minors despite the former No. 2 overall pick’s great numbers at Triple-A, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he’ll be looking to trade veterans between now and the July 31 deadline.
David DeJesus figures to be the most attractive target for many teams, as the 30-year-old can play anywhere in the outfield and is currently sporting career-highs in batting average (.314), on-base percentage (.392), and slugging percentage (.479). He’s also signed for reasonable money through next season, making $4.7 million this year with a $6 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011.
Moore said that he expects “a busy trade market” because the Royals have “some nice pieces” to deal and “will evaluate what comes our way if anything does come our way.” However, my guess is that Moore is dramatically overestimating the market for guys like Jose Guillen, Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik, Willie Bloomquist, Kyle Farnsworth, and basically anyone not named DeJesus.
Kansas City might be able to unload a couple of those mediocre veterans, but they certainly won’t be getting anything resembling promising prospects in return for them and in the meantime the Royals are wasting at-bats on 30-somethings while 20-somethings like Gordon and Kila Ka’aihue crush Triple-A pitching. In the past three offseasons Moore has spent $80 million on Guillen, Ankiel, Podsednik, Farnsworth, Bloomquist, Jason Kendall, Ron Mahay, Brett Tomko, Juan Cruz, Horacio Ramirez, and John Bale. Seriously.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 44
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 73
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)