Jun 15, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
This doesn’t get me as misty as seeing Tiger Stadium turning into ruins, but it stinks pretty bad all the same:
Hailed as the
“Eighth Wonder of the World” when it opened in 1965, the
Astrodome now sits vacant and in disrepair out on Interstate 610.
first domed sports stadium lost its last major tenant eight years
ago. It hosted occasional functions afterward – a family rented
the floor for a bar mitzvah party for $15,000 – but has been virtually
shut down for two years. Its exterior metal work is rusting. Water
stains surround the base. It’s no longer
up to code.
There’s a lot of talk of what to do with it — indoor ski slope! planetarium! — but that talk always starts when people try to figure out what to do with old buildings. Those things are almost always pipe dreams, but I suppose entertaining such options, however ridiculous, are part of the grieving process.
But denial will soon give way to acceptance. And numbers: it would cost about $88 million to demolish the Eighth Wonder of the World, while it would cost about $900 million to renovate and turn into something useful. As such, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Astrodome doesn’t have long left.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)