Jun 15, 2010, 4:29 PM EDT
We’ve had a lot of unsurprising news today. Add this to the list: the Mariners have designated Ian Snell for assignment.
Snell was 0-5 with a 6.41 ERA in 11 games this year, eight of which were starts. He lost his spot in the rotation for good last week after giving up eight runs in an inning and two-thirds last Wednesday. He got shelled again in relief last night and his ineffectiveness, combined with his little temper tantrum when he was criticized by Don Wakamatsu a couple of weeks ago, meant that he didn’t have much room for error to begin with.
Maybe he just needs a wakeup call. Last year he was horrendous for the Pirates and they sent him down to Indianapolis. Once there he put up an ERA of 0.96 with 47 strikeouts in 37 innings and forced himself into the Jack Wilson trade. In light of that, he might do himself a favor in lobbying the team to send him to the minors rather than simply release him so as to get another little boost like that.
Or maybe he just stinks anymore and the only people he can get out are minor leaguers.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)