Jun 15, 2010, 4:29 PM EDT
We’ve had a lot of unsurprising news today. Add this to the list: the Mariners have designated Ian Snell for assignment.
Snell was 0-5 with a 6.41 ERA in 11 games this year, eight of which were starts. He lost his spot in the rotation for good last week after giving up eight runs in an inning and two-thirds last Wednesday. He got shelled again in relief last night and his ineffectiveness, combined with his little temper tantrum when he was criticized by Don Wakamatsu a couple of weeks ago, meant that he didn’t have much room for error to begin with.
Maybe he just needs a wakeup call. Last year he was horrendous for the Pirates and they sent him down to Indianapolis. Once there he put up an ERA of 0.96 with 47 strikeouts in 37 innings and forced himself into the Jack Wilson trade. In light of that, he might do himself a favor in lobbying the team to send him to the minors rather than simply release him so as to get another little boost like that.
Or maybe he just stinks anymore and the only people he can get out are minor leaguers.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)