Jun 15, 2010, 4:29 PM EDT
We’ve had a lot of unsurprising news today. Add this to the list: the Mariners have designated Ian Snell for assignment.
Snell was 0-5 with a 6.41 ERA in 11 games this year, eight of which were starts. He lost his spot in the rotation for good last week after giving up eight runs in an inning and two-thirds last Wednesday. He got shelled again in relief last night and his ineffectiveness, combined with his little temper tantrum when he was criticized by Don Wakamatsu a couple of weeks ago, meant that he didn’t have much room for error to begin with.
Maybe he just needs a wakeup call. Last year he was horrendous for the Pirates and they sent him down to Indianapolis. Once there he put up an ERA of 0.96 with 47 strikeouts in 37 innings and forced himself into the Jack Wilson trade. In light of that, he might do himself a favor in lobbying the team to send him to the minors rather than simply release him so as to get another little boost like that.
Or maybe he just stinks anymore and the only people he can get out are minor leaguers.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11