Jun 15, 2010, 4:29 PM EST
We’ve had a lot of unsurprising news today. Add this to the list: the Mariners have designated Ian Snell for assignment.
Snell was 0-5 with a 6.41 ERA in 11 games this year, eight of which were starts. He lost his spot in the rotation for good last week after giving up eight runs in an inning and two-thirds last Wednesday. He got shelled again in relief last night and his ineffectiveness, combined with his little temper tantrum when he was criticized by Don Wakamatsu a couple of weeks ago, meant that he didn’t have much room for error to begin with.
Maybe he just needs a wakeup call. Last year he was horrendous for the Pirates and they sent him down to Indianapolis. Once there he put up an ERA of 0.96 with 47 strikeouts in 37 innings and forced himself into the Jack Wilson trade. In light of that, he might do himself a favor in lobbying the team to send him to the minors rather than simply release him so as to get another little boost like that.
Or maybe he just stinks anymore and the only people he can get out are minor leaguers.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)