Jun 15, 2010, 4:29 PM EDT
We’ve had a lot of unsurprising news today. Add this to the list: the Mariners have designated Ian Snell for assignment.
Snell was 0-5 with a 6.41 ERA in 11 games this year, eight of which were starts. He lost his spot in the rotation for good last week after giving up eight runs in an inning and two-thirds last Wednesday. He got shelled again in relief last night and his ineffectiveness, combined with his little temper tantrum when he was criticized by Don Wakamatsu a couple of weeks ago, meant that he didn’t have much room for error to begin with.
Maybe he just needs a wakeup call. Last year he was horrendous for the Pirates and they sent him down to Indianapolis. Once there he put up an ERA of 0.96 with 47 strikeouts in 37 innings and forced himself into the Jack Wilson trade. In light of that, he might do himself a favor in lobbying the team to send him to the minors rather than simply release him so as to get another little boost like that.
Or maybe he just stinks anymore and the only people he can get out are minor leaguers.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)