The Yankees once had a mascot named "Dandy?" Really?

Jun 15, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

If you read just one news story today about a fuzzy, 7-foot tall New York Yankees’ mascot who looked like Thurman Munson and who had his career ruined because Lou Piniella once chased a chicken that placed a hex on Ron Guidry, make it this story.

In other news, learning that the Yankees once had a scruffy, Phille Phanatic-style mascot is kind of like learning that Jakie Onasis was once one of those women who give out free shots of Aftershock and Rumple Minze in suburban bars.

1. Jonny5 - Jun 15, 2010 at 9:15 AM

He’s flashing his gang colors though. See the red bandana hanging from his pocket… He’s an original “G”.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jun 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I particularly like the part where the Phanatic warned him about the upper decks cause the fans want to see if he can fly. And the Acme Mascot part
    What a Seinfeld episode this would have made.
    Hey, I’ve got an idea to fill the seats below the moat: A seven foot pinstriped Gordon Gekko walking around.

3. Alex - Jun 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM

man, the 70s were somethin’ else, weren’t they?

4. Simon DelMonte - Jun 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I guess us Mets fans can’t make fun, what with Mr. Met being a source of humor to the world since 1962.
    But as a fan of the New York Giants, who still refuse to have even cheerleaders, I am prepared to sneer at all who dilute the true meaning of sports.

5. YANKEES1996 - Jun 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I have been a Yankees fan all of my life and the thing that I remember is that Thurman Munson was killed in the crash within days of the mascots appearance. It is a good thing the fans never got their hands on the costume or the guy playing the mascot I am not really sure what would have happened if the fans had gotten hold of him but I’m not sure it would not have been good.

Yet another WS run for the Giants