Jun 15, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
If you read just one news story today about a fuzzy, 7-foot tall New York Yankees’ mascot who looked like Thurman Munson and who had his career ruined because Lou Piniella once chased a chicken that placed a hex on Ron Guidry, make it this story.
In other news, learning that the Yankees once had a scruffy, Phille Phanatic-style mascot is kind of like learning that Jakie Onasis was once one of those women who give out free shots of Aftershock and Rumple Minze in suburban bars.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39