Jun 15, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
If you read just one news story today about a fuzzy, 7-foot tall New York Yankees’ mascot who looked like Thurman Munson and who had his career ruined because Lou Piniella once chased a chicken that placed a hex on Ron Guidry, make it this story.
In other news, learning that the Yankees once had a scruffy, Phille Phanatic-style mascot is kind of like learning that Jakie Onasis was once one of those women who give out free shots of Aftershock and Rumple Minze in suburban bars.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 44
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 18
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)