Jun 15, 2010, 9:27 AM EST
As I mentioned in the recaps, the Padres-Jays game was briefly interrupted by an earthquake last night. Video — which is gripping, mostly because of announcer Dick Enberg’s reference to “the funky chicken” — can be seen here.
I think my favorite part of the video is when they’re showing those guys on the top row of the upper deck, one of whom grabs on to the fence. I’m going to pretend that he had ideas of riding the rubble down in the event the quake was bigger than the 5.7 it ended up being.
In other news my brother just called me from his home in San Diego to ask me if I was “covering the quake at the ballgame.” I told him that beyond Enberg’s funky chicken thing I don’t know that there’s much of a story. He offered to allow me to tell all of you that the pictures on his wall were swaying a little bit. Then he said that since he worked until close at the In-N-Out early this morning, he was going to sleep.
Stay tuned for more in-depth coverage of “Earth-ocalypse 2010″ from your HardballTalk QuakeTeam!
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 16
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 16
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 25
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)