Jun 16, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
OK, the changeover to the redesign did not go 100% according to plan. But I assure you, we’re now only leaking, like, 5,000 barrels a day and we’ve sprayed chemical dispersants all around the affected area. We’ll be sunning ourselves on Mississippi beaches in no time.
Once again, apologies for the glitches earlier today. As I mentioned on Twitter and in the comments, HBT is NOT becoming a registration site. That was a technical issue that, for reasons that aren’t terribly important to go over, wasn’t apparent until we actually went live. It should be fixed now, but by all means, drop us a line (note the fancy “tips/feedback” button in the upper right) if you see any other problems. Other matters:
While we will not be going to registration for reading the site we are going to keep with registration for comments. This is something we should have hipped you to earlier, I confess, and I apologize for not doing so. It’s something we do with great reluctance, but we’ve had enough issues with spam, impersonators and the like to where it’s really our only option. Frankly, I can’t think of many blogs that don’t have comment registration these days, so such a move was probably inevitable. I think we’ll survive.
The comments will soon be back to oldest first, newest last. The reverse chronological order thing was a function of solar winds, swamp gas and stuff like that.
The “search” field will return to the upper right soon as well. To be honest, I have no idea how many of you actually use that, but it’s a pretty good site-searcher as far as those things go. I use it all the time so that I may more easily plagiarize myself.
People still continue to hate the click-throughs even lo these many hours later. I understand it. I hope you understand why we’re doing it (if not, click here and read my explanation). One thing I might ask of you to help make it a little more bearable is to give me your opinion: do you prefer it if we tease the story a bit in the little field on the front page, or would you prefer the first few sentences of the post to appear like I did on this one?
I confess, I kind of like the tease because it gives me yet another opportunity to be snarky throughout the day, but I can see how that might be annoying too. I think that, regardless of what you say, I’ll probably tease longish posts like And That Happened, but I do want to know what you think. And yes, I understand that you’d like no click-throughs to begin with. I want my hair back too, but it’s just not really in the cards.
That’s all I got right now. Please keep the criticism coming (hopefully of the constructive variety). We want to continue to make HBT your number one baseball destination, so if we’re totally wigging out on you, please let us know.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)