Jun 16, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
I suppose this was inevitable. When you tire of superlatives to describe Stephen Strasburg’s game, you go contrary and try to find a fault. And I suppose there are faults to be found, because no pitcher is perfect. But this one from Tom Boswell of the Washington Post seems like a bit of a stretch:
Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are
boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s
OK, that’s me paraphrasing, but that’s basically what he’s saying. Too many of his outs are by strikeout, more strikeouts usually leads to more pitches, and more pitches are bad for the Savior.
I guess I’m having a hard time seeing the problem as long as his pitch counts are monitored and as long as he doesn’t appear to be altering his approach to a given hitter in an effort to simply get more strikeouts for their own sake. But hey, if they can’t hit the ball, what’s the harm in letting him throw it by them?
And lest we forget, Strasburg’s first two starts came against Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I have this feeling that his future opponents will manage a little more contact off the kid.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)