Jun 16, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT
Barry Shlachter of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a recap of yesterday’s Texas Rangers bankruptcy hearing and, as we noted yesterday, it seems like the Rangers have reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. The judge acknowledged that the highest bid did not necessarily make for the best bid, and if he ultimately goes with that reasoning, the Rangers are most of the way home. Obviously he could go in another direction between now and the time his ruling comes out on July 9th, but there wasn’t anything that happened yesterday to give the team reason for concern either.
But the best thing that happened in the hearing had nothing to do with the Rangers specifically. It came from the judge, who said what everyone else thinks but for some reason isn’t allowed to say:
Lynn conceded at one point that the highest bid was not always the
determining factor in selecting a sports franchise buyer. What, the
judge asked hypothetically, if organized crime came and said they wanted
to buy the team?
Then the robed jurist joked, “This is not the NFL.”
“I was trying to be
facetious,” Lynn quickly added, lest anyone take the remark the wrong
We hear you, your honor. We hear you loud and clear.
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 5
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 12
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)