Jun 16, 2010, 11:34 AM EST
Barry Shlachter of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a recap of yesterday’s Texas Rangers bankruptcy hearing and, as we noted yesterday, it seems like the Rangers have reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. The judge acknowledged that the highest bid did not necessarily make for the best bid, and if he ultimately goes with that reasoning, the Rangers are most of the way home. Obviously he could go in another direction between now and the time his ruling comes out on July 9th, but there wasn’t anything that happened yesterday to give the team reason for concern either.
But the best thing that happened in the hearing had nothing to do with the Rangers specifically. It came from the judge, who said what everyone else thinks but for some reason isn’t allowed to say:
Lynn conceded at one point that the highest bid was not always the
determining factor in selecting a sports franchise buyer. What, the
judge asked hypothetically, if organized crime came and said they wanted
to buy the team?
Then the robed jurist joked, “This is not the NFL.”
“I was trying to be
facetious,” Lynn quickly added, lest anyone take the remark the wrong
We hear you, your honor. We hear you loud and clear.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)