Jun 16, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Braves right-hander Kenshin Kawakami is providing this season’s best example of why wins and losses for individual pitchers are so often misleading (or worse). He lost to the Rays yesterday, falling to 0-9 despite a decent 4.42 ERA, six Quality Starts in 13 tries, and zero outings with more than five runs allowed.
To put that in some context, consider: Johnny Cueto is 6-1 with a 4.50 ERA. John Lackey is 7-3 with a 4.54 ERA. Dan Haren is 7-4 with a 4.61 ERA. Freddy Garcia is 7-3 with a 4.94 ERA. Nick Blackburn is 6-3 with a 4.96 ERA. Brian Bannister is 6-4 with a 5.40 ERA.
Even his rotation-mate Derek Lowe is 8-5 with a 4.81 ERA. In fact, a total of 20 pitchers have at least five wins despite an ERA higher than Kawakami. Not surprisingly Kawakami has received terrible support from the Braves’ lineup, bullpen, and defense.
He ranks ninth-worst in run support, third-worst in bullpen support, and errors behind him have also accounted for six unearned runs. It always bothers me when announcers talk about pitchers who “know how to win” because their win-loss record is better than their other numbers would suggest, and unfortunate guys like Kawakami at the other end of the spectrum are why.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (117)