The Phillies are snooping around Pedro Martinez again

Jun 16, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT

Enrique Rojas of ESPN reports that the Phillies have had discussions with Pedro Martinez
about making a comeback. Or I guess that would be another comeback. Really, in this age of half-season stints by old dudes, I’m not sure how we refer to this sort of thing.

Point is, the Phillies are interested in having Martinez back on the team if he’s willing to have them. Pedro says he wants to pitch this year, but he’s not making any commitments at the moment.  He was useful last season — 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine starts — but he’s not exactly a horse these days, even by his own somewhat fragile standards.

It makes sense that the Phillies’ recent swoon would have them nostalgic for last year, but I’m having a hard time seeing how making overtures to Pedro Martinez would really help anything.  Their problem is that they can’t hit the ball.  I like me some Pedro, but at this point, he’d be more likely to help that problem by signing with the Phillies’ opponents than he would with the team.

1. Jonny5 - Jun 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Hmmmmm? I’m not sure of where I stand on your opinion of this situation Craig, which is strange ground for me. On one hand, last season a pitcher for the Phillies didn’t need to keep his ERA below 4 to earn a win. On the other hand, this season that doesn’t seem to be the case…. I don’t know… If They don’t see JA Happ coming back from injury anytime soon, Pedro is needed to fill a hole where Kendrick now stands, And who knows how long Moyer will last? The dude’s kinda on borrowed time anyone would agree. So signing Pedro before anyone else does may be a good insurance policy for the Phills. This won’t make them hit but Kendrick is not good enough to be a starter imo and needs to be sent to the pen.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jun 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

What’s the deal with moving up Moyer til tonight anyway? I was looking forward to the geriactric bowl of Moyer vs Andy tomorrow.

3. vandalen - Jun 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Can Pedro hit? I don’t think the Phillies should be worrying about pitching just yet.

4. Jonny5 - Jun 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I don’t know what happened there. Maybe it was as simple as an extra day off for the Phills? All I know is They will need to hit well to win against these Yankees. Prediction: Hitting slump ends tonight and Phills give enough run support for Moyer to take a “W” . Yeah, that’s the ticket.

5. Jonny5 - Jun 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, I called it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2773)