Jun 16, 2010, 1:06 PM EST
Enrique Rojas of ESPN reports that the Phillies have had discussions with Pedro Martinez
about making a comeback. Or I guess that would be another comeback. Really, in this age of half-season stints by old dudes, I’m not sure how we refer to this sort of thing.
Point is, the Phillies are interested in having Martinez back on the team if he’s willing to have them. Pedro says he wants to pitch this year, but he’s not making any commitments at the moment. He was useful last season — 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine starts — but he’s not exactly a horse these days, even by his own somewhat fragile standards.
It makes sense that the Phillies’ recent swoon would have them nostalgic for last year, but I’m having a hard time seeing how making overtures to Pedro Martinez would really help anything. Their problem is that they can’t hit the ball. I like me some Pedro, but at this point, he’d be more likely to help that problem by signing with the Phillies’ opponents than he would with the team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)