Jun 16, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
Padres catcher Yorvit Torrealba has been suspended for three games after making contact with an umpire in
the ninth inning of Monday’s 6-3 loss to the Jays. Torrealba was arguing with ump Larry Vanover after taking a called third
strike with which he didn’t agree.
The video is here. Unlike so many other incidents this year, this is the player’s problem, not the umps. The call was close but I think a good one and Torrealba was a bit too hot if you ask me. There’s no need to get that much up in anyone’s face to argue balls and strikes. Which you can’t do anyway.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 27
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)