And That Happened: Wednesday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 17, 2010, 5:41 AM EDT

What ballplayer has been drinking his milk? How much does a knockwurst cost at Primanti Bros.? And can anyone read Dusty Baker's lips?

Dodgers
6, Reds 2
: Clayton Kershaw gave up one run on seven hits with seven
strikeouts. At least one of those strikeouts was baloney, though.  Check out the call here by Hunter Wendelstedt.
Rolen and Dusty Baker got run, sure, but it’s not like they didn’t have
a beef. Bonus: lip readers among you can easily figure out exactly what
Dusty thought of that call!

Braves 6, Rays 2:  Things I haven’t had to say in several years: the Braves win, staying just ahead of the Mets in the race for the N.L. East lead. Seven scoreless innings for Tommy Hanson, who looked pretty damn dominant.

Mets 8, Indians 4: I totally should have gone up to Progressive Field to watch this one from the Tribe Social Deck. Why? Because for the first time this year a home run was hit into the assembled bloggeratti. What’s more, it was hit by Shelley Duncan!  If I had been there, my daughter Anna would have gotten a souvenir from her favorite player. That is, if I could have fought off the vicious, vicious bloggers.

Rangers 6, Marlins 3: Michael Young broke the Rangers’ all-time hit record, passing Ivan Rodriguez.  I’m going to go out on a limb and guess 3-5:  Pete O’Brien, Bump Wills and Cesar Tovar. Am I right? Nah, don’t bother looking. I’m pretty sure I’m right.

Red Sox 6, Diamondbacks 2: The young starter goes seven strong, many contribute on offense and the home team wins 6-2. So this was pretty much a carbon copy of the Braves-Rays game. Well, except for Dustin Pedroia hitting a home run and then, after the game saying I’m strong – I drink milk.”

Angels 5, Brewers 1: Pfun stupf: Brandon Wood played shortstop. I did not know he did that. Were it the late 1960s or early 19-teens, his bat might even play there.

Blue Jays 7, Padres 1: John Buck hit his third home run of the series. Yesterday’s smacked off the balcony on the fourth floor of the Western Metal Supply Co.
Building in the left-field corner. You can hit the ball farther than that to other parts of the park and not get a homer, but it’s more impressive to measure home runs in building-based units such as supply companies, railroad warehouses and the like.

Phillies 6, Yankees 3: Jamie Moyer goes eight innings, allowing only three hits and Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth hit back-to-back homers for the first time in forever. By the way, the thing in all the game stories — Jamie Moyer is the oldest pitcher to ever beat the Yankees! — is another of those silly, “we’re only talking about it because it’s a New York team” things. Moyer is the oldest pitcher to beat a whole bunch of teams, I’d imagine, and we generally don’t care. But because he’s facing New York, which means that there are a bunch more writers covering it, all of whom are looking for an angle, we get factoids disguised as records like this one.

Giants 6, Orioles 3: Lincecum allowed eight hits, walked four and got smacked in the shoulder with a batted ball, but he also struck out ten Orioles and got the win.  His shoulder will be OK — Bruce Bochy says ’tis but a scratch; a mere flesh wound — but he certainly ain’t making anything easy for himself this year.

Tigers 8, Nationals 3: I’ve been waiting, not eagerly or anything, but waiting all the same, for the real Livan Hernandez to show himself this year. And that he did, giving up eight runs on seven hits in six and two-thirds, while issuing six free passes. Verlander had 11K. Brennan Boesch continues being a beast, going 3-4 with a homer and 4 RBI.

White Sox 7, Pirates 2: Pedro Alvarez was 0-2 with a strikeout, a walk and scored a run in his debut, but that and $5.79 will get you a knockwurst & cheese at Primanti Bros., because the Pirates lost again. Alvarez had an error too, but he wasn’t alone as Pittsburgh committed six of them. John Danks handcuffed the Pirates all night, but these days so too would the pitching machine from a fun-park batting cage. Yellow balls and everything.

Cubs 6, Athletics 2: Derek Lee was 2-4 with a homer, breaking up his current slump. Or maybe just interrupting it. When does anything really begin, anyway? And let us not forget, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Twins 2, Rockies 1: Scott Baker was positively Strasburgian: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 12K.  And he needed to be as the Twins couldn’t do much more off the Rockies.

Mariners 2, Cardinals 1: Matt Holliday struck out with the tying run at third in the eighth inning and went 0 for 4 on the night. You have to assume he’ll hit soon enough, but its understandable why Cardinals fans are starting to get restless about him.

Astros 4, Royals 2: Oswalt holds the Royals — who unleashed a 15-run attack the night before — to two runs on six hits. If he can get two more wins before he gets traded, he’ll be the Astros’ all-time win leader. Joe Niekro holds the mark right now at 144.

1. MVD - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Aw, man, I was gonna consult my Primanti’s menu and answer it, too… and, yes, putting coleslaw and fries on a sandwich is weird.
    So, I dont mind the new layout, but how come the other sites dont have links to HBT?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:19 AM

They will soon. We’re the guinea pig on the redesign.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM

The Universe had an “upside-down” game for the first time this season with the relievers Logan and Gaudin going perfect for 5 2/3 with A(wful) J(erky) Burnett for the third time in a row stinking up the place and forgetting not only where home plate was, but also 1st when he should have covered.
    Yanks are too old to remember the slow pitch softball days except for Robbie, who’s young, and Posada, who remembers that game in 1982 in fifth grade when he hit a wiffle ball homer.
    Andy’s up tonight, guess he’s in charge of all Feelies critical games.

4. YankeesfanLen - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:35 AM

OOPS- Apparently the MLB suits also read ATH- Dusty’s pertinent remarks have already been deleted. What a family-focused organizations.

5. Ditto65 - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Why wouldn’t the powers that be select a sport not in season to experiment?
    Oh, because nobody visits those other sites. And none are as wildly popular as yours, either.
    I hate it when I answer my own questions.

6. RickyB - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM

How many pages will refer to Baker’s dozen today?

7. SouthofHeaven - Jun 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Props to Jamie Moyer on an excellent outing. I wish it had been Moyer vs. Pettite, two old bastards who still have it. I knew from the moment he hit a batter in the 1st inning that Wild Thing Burnett was gonna have another suck outing.

8. Ralph - Jun 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Craig, are there plans to roll out a mobile site for HBT?

9. Ralph - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Nevermind. Just found it.

10. Jonny5 - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

“Jamie Moyer is the oldest pitcher to ever beat the Yankees! — is another of those silly, “we’re only talking about it because it’s a New York team” things.”
    “Moyer has faced batters born in 6 different decades – 40’s-90’s (faced Starlin Castro this year – born in 1990)”
    “He faced both Griffeys at 37 years old 1987 and 2007″
    “Moyer is now the active leader in career strikeouts.”
    “He has the most wins of any active pitcher”
    “Moyer is the oldest pitcher to pitch a shut out”
    There are like 50 “mosts” or “oldests” you could hang on that man.
    I don’t know, I think it’s a treat to see Moyer in action. I think a future HOF inductee.
    How many people think Moyer is a HOFer????

11. ThatGuy - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I think a mobile site would be fantastic.

12. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I do not think Moyer is a Hall of Famer. Longevity is nice, but at no time has he ever been one of baseball’s best pitchers, so there’s just no HoF-quality peak — even a small one — to speak of. He falls into a group of very good pitchers like, I dunno, David Wells and guys like that in my mind.

13. nps6724 - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM

If he gets in, then so should Julio Franco. And Julio doesn’t deserve it either.

14. Jonny5 - Jun 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Well Craig, Jack Morris is always getting close to getting in…
    W L IP BB/9 K/9 K/BB ERA+
    Yr IP K/BB ERA+ WAR
    ’79 198 1.92 133 5.1
    ’87 266 2.24 126 4.9
    ’85 257 1.74 122 4.8
    ’86 267 2.72 127 4.7
    ’91 247 1.77 125 4.1
    Now where do you sit with Jack M?

15. JBerardi - Jun 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Jack Morris isn’t close to being HOF-worthy, either.

16. Jonny5 - Jun 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

You may be right but I think he got a 52% vote.. He’s up from his first year on the ballot of 19% The way things are going he should be in by 2013-14.

17. MVD - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM

If his longevity gets him to 300, that would probably be enough. All eligible pitchers with 300 wins are in the Hall.

18. Bill@TDS - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM

There were seven different games yesterday that ended with a score of either 6-2 or 6-3.

…that is all.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3020)