Jun 17, 2010, 4:25 PM EST
Ubaldwho? OK, that’s dumb, but the word stuck in my head as soon as I saw Bronson Arroyo’s game, so I figured I had to write it. And no, Arroyo didn’t pitch quite as well as Jimenez did today — he gave up one run on six hits in seven innings while walking a half-dozen guys — but he probably had a better all-around day in the Reds’ 7-2 victory over the Dodgers.
For one thing he hit a three-run homer. We can consult Jerry Blevins on this one, but I’m going to say that John Ely wasn’t lucky to have the pitcher batting. Arroyo also took part in three double-plays, all of which were 1-6-3 jobs, which isn’t something you see everyday.
The Reds had dropped two of three to the Royals and the first two of the series with L.A., so today’s victory was a much-needed one. They now head on a west coast trip. With a game tomorrow night in Seattle and no day off in between, it was probably good for them that this one ended in a crisp two hours and twenty-six minutes.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)