Jun 17, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Ubaldwho? OK, that’s dumb, but the word stuck in my head as soon as I saw Bronson Arroyo’s game, so I figured I had to write it. And no, Arroyo didn’t pitch quite as well as Jimenez did today — he gave up one run on six hits in seven innings while walking a half-dozen guys — but he probably had a better all-around day in the Reds’ 7-2 victory over the Dodgers.
For one thing he hit a three-run homer. We can consult Jerry Blevins on this one, but I’m going to say that John Ely wasn’t lucky to have the pitcher batting. Arroyo also took part in three double-plays, all of which were 1-6-3 jobs, which isn’t something you see everyday.
The Reds had dropped two of three to the Royals and the first two of the series with L.A., so today’s victory was a much-needed one. They now head on a west coast trip. With a game tomorrow night in Seattle and no day off in between, it was probably good for them that this one ended in a crisp two hours and twenty-six minutes.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)