Jun 17, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
In unsurprising fashion Thursday, Braves veteran Chipper Jones told a group of Atlanta-based reporters, including MLB.com’s Mark Bowman, that he is hoping to postpone retirement talks until after the 2010 season.
Chipper spoke many times last year about possibly cutting his career short and again sparked the discussion
earlier this week. Through 175 at-bats this season, he is batting a
not-so-hot .234 with a .366 slugging percentage and only four home
runs. The 38-year-old third baseman is a .306/.406/.537 career hitter
over 16-plus professional seasons.
The topic of retirement is sure to come up after every 0-for-3 or 0-for-4 night that Jones experiences for the rest of the year, and you can bet that there will be many of those. This is baseball, after all, where being successful in a third of your at-bats means greatness. For now, though, Jones wants to focus on getting his club back to the playoffs.
The Braves currently sit atop the NL East standings by a half-game with a record of 38-28. The Mets are 37-28, the Phillies are 33-30 (3.5 games back) and the Marlins are 31-34 (6.5 games back).
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)