Jun 17, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
I couldn’t be much happier. I got to live a dream playing baseball for 14 years, now I’m getting to live the other side and it’s a blast. I had my time. I always said, “When I’m done, I’m done.” I’m good. I don’t have any complaints. It was 14 very enjoyable years. I gave my heart and soul to the game. I’m comfortable with my decision to move on. Do I miss it? Of course, I loved to play. But what I have at home is great, too.
Erstad tried to find a bench job during spring training, but even then expressed some reservations about being away from his family for “three pinch-hit at-bats” per week. He lives in Nebraska with his wife and three children under four years old.
Mulder had his last good season at age 27, as injuries ruined what was shaping up to be an excellent career, but Erstad played until age 35 despite not being a particularly valuable player after turning 30. He didn’t crack a .700 OPS in any of last five seasons and didn’t top an .800 OPS after 2000.
Excellent and often underrated defense in center field usually made up for Erstad’s inconsistent and ultimately mediocre offense, and the former No. 1 overall pick retires with three Gold Gloves, two All-Star appearances, a World Series title, 1,697 hits, and about $50 million in career earnings.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car