Jun 17, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
This link goes to a video interview of documentarianite Ken Burns, talking about leadership. Coaches and managers, specifically.
The video is fairly interesting in a big-think sort of way, but I’m having a hard time getting on board with his comparison of Joe Torre during his time with the Yankees and Abraham Lincoln. To be fair, he’s not comparing greatness or anything. Rather, he’s saying that each of them met difficult situations with a certain good humor and/or stoicism depending on what was required at the time.
Why does this break down for me? Because less than a minute before the says that, he notes how everyone in today’s culture — especially baseball — is concerned with money and structures their lives around it in important ways.
I’m not meaning to questions Torre’s bonafides or integrity here, but ask yourself: was Torre’s ability to be, as Burns puts it, “the epitome of sanity,” in New York merely a function of who he is, or did the fact that being the Yankees manager is a glamorous and lucrative gig have anything to do with the kind of garbage he put up with? Maybe it doesn’t matter a whole hell of a lot, but it seems like you had better be a bit more certain about such things before playing the Lincoln-card.
Anyway, that’s not even the most egregious thing Burns said in the clip. That came when he called Torre a “mediocre player.” I don’t know that I’d vote for him, but on his playing merits alone, he was a borderline Hall of Famer in my view. And in the view of some other smart people who have thought hard about the matter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)