Jun 17, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
With a two-run single in a 6-3 win over the Marlins, Michael Young became the Rangers’ all-time hits leader on Wednesday, overtaking Ivan Rodriguez.
1. Michael Young – 1,748
2. Ivan Rodriguez – 1,747
3. Rafael Palmeiro – 1,692
4. Juan Gonzalez – 1.595
5. Ruben Sierra – 1,281
Just halfway through his current seven-year deal that will pay him $12 million a year in 2011 and 2012 and $13 million in 2013, Young should own several more Rangers records by the time he’s done.
Young is currently fourth on the franchise list in both runs and RBI. He’ll pass both Rodriguez and Gonzalez in runs later this year and Palmeiro for first place next year (he’s currently 96 back of Palmeiro). The RBI list is a bit more spread out, as he’s 318 behind Gonzalez in first place.
1. Gonzalez – 1,180
2. Palmeiro – 1,039
3. Rodriguez – 842
4. Young – 762
1. Palmeiro – 958
2. Gonzalez – 878
3. Rodriguez – 866
4. Young – 862
Young is also second in doubles, 20 behind Rodriguez. He’s tied with Sierra for first with 44 triples.
At age 33, Young is a big long shot to get to 3,000 hits. However, he has reversed the decline that seemed to be setting in during 2007 and 2008, suggesting that 2,500 is within reach. Durability is one of his biggest strengths. Young didn’t establish himself as a quality regular until age 26, but he’s played in 155 games seven times in the last eight years and he’s appeared in all 65 Rangers games this year.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)