Jun 17, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Some notes on Twins right-hander Scott Baker racking up a career-high 12 strikeouts over seven shutout, two-hit innings against the Rockies last night …
• Bert Blyleven had 12 or more strikeouts 22 times, including 15 for the Twins. Johan Santana had 14 such games for the Twins and Camilo Pascual had 10. No one else in team history has as many as five.
• Baker joined Santana, Blyleven, Pascual, Eric Milton, Jim Kaat, Joe Decker, Jim Merritt, and Francisco Liriano as the only pitchers in Twins history with seven or more shutout innings and 12 or more strikeouts. Santana did it six times, while Blyleven and Pascual did it twice apiece.
• Baker also joined Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Jake Peavy, Pete Harnisch, and Hideo Nomo as the only pitchers to throw seven or more shutout innings with 12 or more strikeouts against the Rockies. Martinez is the only pitcher to do so versus the Rockies at Coors Field.
Note: If you’re a nerd like me and enjoy looking up stuff like that, I highly recommend purchasing the “Play Index” at Baseball-Reference.com. It’ll be the best and dorkiest money you’ve ever spent.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)