Jun 17, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
We’ve had a number of big-name rookie debuts this year. Heyward for the Braves, Davis for the Mets, Strasburg for the Nats, Stanton for the Feesh and now Pedro Alvarez for the Pirates.
The results? Bumpy but promising. Alvarez hit sixth and played third. He struck out swinging in his first at-bat, walked and scored in
his second and flew out to left his final time up. Defensively he was a problem, as he committed one error and, according to Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com, let a handful of groundballs whiz by that probably would have been playable by others.
And that’s kind of the thing with Alvarez — he’s a first baseman, really, and I expect that he won’t stick at third any longer than, say, Miguel Cabrera or Jim Thome did.
But that aside, people were impressed by his approach last night, if not his results. Both Ozzie Guillen and John Danks praised Alvarez for having good at bats, meaning that he didn’t fall for or flail at the obvious stuff and, when he was retired, it happened on good pitches. That’s probably about as much as you can ask.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)