Jun 17, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
We’ve had a number of big-name rookie debuts this year. Heyward for the Braves, Davis for the Mets, Strasburg for the Nats, Stanton for the Feesh and now Pedro Alvarez for the Pirates.
The results? Bumpy but promising. Alvarez hit sixth and played third. He struck out swinging in his first at-bat, walked and scored in
his second and flew out to left his final time up. Defensively he was a problem, as he committed one error and, according to Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com, let a handful of groundballs whiz by that probably would have been playable by others.
And that’s kind of the thing with Alvarez — he’s a first baseman, really, and I expect that he won’t stick at third any longer than, say, Miguel Cabrera or Jim Thome did.
But that aside, people were impressed by his approach last night, if not his results. Both Ozzie Guillen and John Danks praised Alvarez for having good at bats, meaning that he didn’t fall for or flail at the obvious stuff and, when he was retired, it happened on good pitches. That’s probably about as much as you can ask.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)