Jun 17, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
We’ve had a number of big-name rookie debuts this year. Heyward for the Braves, Davis for the Mets, Strasburg for the Nats, Stanton for the Feesh and now Pedro Alvarez for the Pirates.
The results? Bumpy but promising. Alvarez hit sixth and played third. He struck out swinging in his first at-bat, walked and scored in
his second and flew out to left his final time up. Defensively he was a problem, as he committed one error and, according to Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com, let a handful of groundballs whiz by that probably would have been playable by others.
And that’s kind of the thing with Alvarez — he’s a first baseman, really, and I expect that he won’t stick at third any longer than, say, Miguel Cabrera or Jim Thome did.
But that aside, people were impressed by his approach last night, if not his results. Both Ozzie Guillen and John Danks praised Alvarez for having good at bats, meaning that he didn’t fall for or flail at the obvious stuff and, when he was retired, it happened on good pitches. That’s probably about as much as you can ask.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)