Jun 17, 2010, 4:43 PM EST
Rafael Furcal left the Dodgers and has returned home to the Dominican Republic to be with a sick family member. He’s been placed on the bereavement list, which means Furcal will miss at least three games.
Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that Furcal called Joe Torre at around one o’clock this morning and the manager told him to “take as long as he needs.”
Furcal has hit well since returning from a month-long stint on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, going 26-for-86 (.302) with eight extra-base hits in 21 games. Chin-lung Hu was called up from Triple-A to take Furcal’s spot on the roster, but Jamey Carroll is expected to be the primary fill-in at shortstop and Blake DeWitt stepped into the leadoff spot for this afternoon’s loss to the Reds.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)