Jun 17, 2010, 4:43 PM EST
Rafael Furcal left the Dodgers and has returned home to the Dominican Republic to be with a sick family member. He’s been placed on the bereavement list, which means Furcal will miss at least three games.
Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that Furcal called Joe Torre at around one o’clock this morning and the manager told him to “take as long as he needs.”
Furcal has hit well since returning from a month-long stint on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, going 26-for-86 (.302) with eight extra-base hits in 21 games. Chin-lung Hu was called up from Triple-A to take Furcal’s spot on the roster, but Jamey Carroll is expected to be the primary fill-in at shortstop and Blake DeWitt stepped into the leadoff spot for this afternoon’s loss to the Reds.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)