Report: Manny Ramirez, Dodgers discussed ways to get Manny back on PEDs last year

Jun 17, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT

Michael S. Schmidt has a report in the New York Times today that last year — after Manny Ramirez came back from his drug suspension — he explored seeking an exemption from Major League Baseball in order to allow him to take drugs that would boost testosterone levels.  Which, by the way, is what the drug he tested positive for last spring was designed to do.

According to Schmidt, “high-ranking Dodgers personnel, including General Manager Ned Colletti,” were involved in the discussions, and talked about whether he had enough of a
medical problem to obtain an exemption for a testosterone-boosting drug.  Ultimately, however, Ramirez never sought an exemption.

Hard to say what to make of this story. If it’s true, it seems like evidence that Ramirez or those around him felt that he needed something to pick him up as he struggled in the second half last year.  And if what Schmidt says is true, the Dodgers were among those thinking it.

The team denies that it took part in such discussions.  I would hope their denial is truthful, because I don’t think it would be good for anyone if team brass was actually taking part in a “how can we get Manny Ramirez back on PEDs?” conversation.

(link via Dodger Thoughts)

1. josh - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Wasn’t the drug Manny tested positive for on the banned list b/c it is a masking agent, not because it is a PED? That is my memory and a quick search shows that, but I’m not positive.
    If so, I don’t think the headline is accurate.

2. walk - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:21 PM

My knowledge of steroids is limited but i seem to remember it being something used after you finished a cycle of steroids, be it a masking agent or some other type of drug. I have also seen a report of him asking for a medical exemption prior to testing positive to help him boost testosterone, reason given was to help father children i believe. I would have to find that story to reverify facts though, not sure where to find it.

3. Anon - Jun 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

The most interesting part of the story is the jump in the number of exemptions allowing amphetamine use. It seems that, after MLB banned greenies, about 100 players suddenly came down with ADHD and got medical clearance to stimulate themselves. Funny how that works.

4. JBerardi - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

So basically, baseball treats ADHD medication exactly like the American public treats it. Funny how THAT works, too.

5. Paper Lions - Jun 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM

So……with the new format, it seems that the number of comments has dropped off a cliff. Of course, I suppose that coincidentally the posts could have just become boring and unworthy of comment.

6. BC - Jun 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I think you’re right, Josh.

Three legends off to Cooperstown