Jun 17, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT
Michael S. Schmidt has a report in the New York Times today that last year — after Manny Ramirez came back from his drug suspension — he explored seeking an exemption from Major League Baseball in order to allow him to take drugs that would boost testosterone levels. Which, by the way, is what the drug he tested positive for last spring was designed to do.
According to Schmidt, “high-ranking Dodgers personnel, including General Manager Ned Colletti,” were involved in the discussions, and talked about whether he had enough of a
medical problem to obtain an exemption for a testosterone-boosting drug. Ultimately, however, Ramirez never sought an exemption.
Hard to say what to make of this story. If it’s true, it seems like evidence that Ramirez or those around him felt that he needed something to pick him up as he struggled in the second half last year. And if what Schmidt says is true, the Dodgers were among those thinking it.
The team denies that it took part in such discussions. I would hope their denial is truthful, because I don’t think it would be good for anyone if team brass was actually taking part in a “how can we get Manny Ramirez back on PEDs?” conversation.
(link via Dodger Thoughts)
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)