Jun 17, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT
Michael S. Schmidt has a report in the New York Times today that last year — after Manny Ramirez came back from his drug suspension — he explored seeking an exemption from Major League Baseball in order to allow him to take drugs that would boost testosterone levels. Which, by the way, is what the drug he tested positive for last spring was designed to do.
According to Schmidt, “high-ranking Dodgers personnel, including General Manager Ned Colletti,” were involved in the discussions, and talked about whether he had enough of a
medical problem to obtain an exemption for a testosterone-boosting drug. Ultimately, however, Ramirez never sought an exemption.
Hard to say what to make of this story. If it’s true, it seems like evidence that Ramirez or those around him felt that he needed something to pick him up as he struggled in the second half last year. And if what Schmidt says is true, the Dodgers were among those thinking it.
The team denies that it took part in such discussions. I would hope their denial is truthful, because I don’t think it would be good for anyone if team brass was actually taking part in a “how can we get Manny Ramirez back on PEDs?” conversation.
(link via Dodger Thoughts)
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)