Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
I missed the Braves-Rays game last night so I didn’t see this go down, but the Rays got boned in the sixth inning. You can see the play here.
For those who can’t watch the video, Hank Blalock was at third base when Brian McCann missed one that went to the screen. It took a fortuitous bounce so there was a play at the plate. Close, but not all that close, really: Blalock’s leg came in under the tag. Except he was called out by home plate umpire Paul Emmel. Even the Braves’ announcers knew it was a bad call before the replays.
For what it’s worth, a replay review of that call would have taken less time than Joe Maddon’s argument did. Why aren’t we doing this again?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)