Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
I missed the Braves-Rays game last night so I didn’t see this go down, but the Rays got boned in the sixth inning. You can see the play here.
For those who can’t watch the video, Hank Blalock was at third base when Brian McCann missed one that went to the screen. It took a fortuitous bounce so there was a play at the plate. Close, but not all that close, really: Blalock’s leg came in under the tag. Except he was called out by home plate umpire Paul Emmel. Even the Braves’ announcers knew it was a bad call before the replays.
For what it’s worth, a replay review of that call would have taken less time than Joe Maddon’s argument did. Why aren’t we doing this again?
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)