Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
I missed the Braves-Rays game last night so I didn’t see this go down, but the Rays got boned in the sixth inning. You can see the play here.
For those who can’t watch the video, Hank Blalock was at third base when Brian McCann missed one that went to the screen. It took a fortuitous bounce so there was a play at the plate. Close, but not all that close, really: Blalock’s leg came in under the tag. Except he was called out by home plate umpire Paul Emmel. Even the Braves’ announcers knew it was a bad call before the replays.
For what it’s worth, a replay review of that call would have taken less time than Joe Maddon’s argument did. Why aren’t we doing this again?
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)