Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM EST
I missed the Braves-Rays game last night so I didn’t see this go down, but the Rays got boned in the sixth inning. You can see the play here.
For those who can’t watch the video, Hank Blalock was at third base when Brian McCann missed one that went to the screen. It took a fortuitous bounce so there was a play at the plate. Close, but not all that close, really: Blalock’s leg came in under the tag. Except he was called out by home plate umpire Paul Emmel. Even the Braves’ announcers knew it was a bad call before the replays.
For what it’s worth, a replay review of that call would have taken less time than Joe Maddon’s argument did. Why aren’t we doing this again?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)