Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 PM EST
I missed the Braves-Rays game last night so I didn’t see this go down, but the Rays got boned in the sixth inning. You can see the play here.
For those who can’t watch the video, Hank Blalock was at third base when Brian McCann missed one that went to the screen. It took a fortuitous bounce so there was a play at the plate. Close, but not all that close, really: Blalock’s leg came in under the tag. Except he was called out by home plate umpire Paul Emmel. Even the Braves’ announcers knew it was a bad call before the replays.
For what it’s worth, a replay review of that call would have taken less time than Joe Maddon’s argument did. Why aren’t we doing this again?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)