Bad idea jeans: The Marlins are handing out vuvuzelas tomorrow

Jun 18, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT

I’m not following the World Cup closely enough to be able to say anything all that insightful. I know that England gave us that goal we got in the first game. I know we got boned this morning in the Slovenia game. I know that everyone hates the vuvuzelas too.

In fact, these plastic horns are so hated that some baseball teams — most notably the Yankees — have issued a peremptory ban on fans bringing them into the ballpark. The ban is less to prevent the actual annoyance than because there is a non-trivial chance that anyone who blows one of those things at the ballpark will be murdered, and that’s a lot of paperwork the Yankees don’t need.

But never fear, fans of obnoxiously awful things, the Marlins got your back!

Like it or not, Marlins players – and fans – will get an earful of
World Cup soccer atmosphere Saturday night at Sun Life Stadium. Plastic
horns will be given to the first 15,000 fans as part of a promotion to
capitalize on the World Cup buzz.

I’m not sure what’s funnier: that the Marlins think anyone would want to sit and listen to that awful buzz or that there will be 15,000 people at the ballpark on Saturday to get one.

1. Buccofan - Jun 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Something to pass the time while watching the rain.

2. Ace2000 - Jun 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Highly recommended reading, for fans of the Vuvuzela Phil:

3. TomTom - Jun 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I would rather listen to 1000 vuvuzelas than 1 Scott Stapp song.

4. Jonny5 - Jun 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

It’s going to take a month of saturdays to unload those things on Marlins fans at the stadium. I don’t know what’s more annoying, these things, or those dumb bells in Tampa bay.

5. jimbeetle - Jun 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Actually, I think the Yankees banned them at the Stadium back in the very late ’60s or early ’70s; the Metsies followed suit. Before that you could pick them up for a buck or so. Our little group usually had at least 2 or 3 among us with one.

6. Michael - Jun 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Hey Craig!
    I’m reading you right now in a World Cup atmosphere!
    But seriously, this is a bad, bad precedent. We who attend MLS matches (before you snark, about the same average attendance as the NBA) have been trying to stamp out the pockets of horns that spring up, and I’m hoping it’s not a losing battle.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

They have those at Columbus Crew games. Or did last time I went. Just awful things.

8. The Rabbit - Jun 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Couple it with 10 cent beer night and you might have a winner.

Three legends off to Cooperstown