Jun 18, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
“I had told the second-base umpire, I let him know how I felt the
inning after I ran to my position. I just felt like there was no point
in arguing, because he’s already called me out. We had an early game, so
I know everybody’s trying to get out of here. We’ve got a storm coming
in, that’s what I heard.
“You can’t make that call right there. We were battling. Usually
pickoff plays like that, it has to be blatant–like I’m one thousand
This is why I could never do play-by-play or color work for ballgames. If I did, there is a 1000% chance that I would ascribe some percentage of outness to Denard Span every single time he didn’t reach base safely, most likely beating it to death as the season wore on.
And if I were one of his teammates, I would, without question, be at the mall this morning having “1000% out” t-shirts made for everyone in the clubhouse.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12