Jun 18, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
“I had told the second-base umpire, I let him know how I felt the
inning after I ran to my position. I just felt like there was no point
in arguing, because he’s already called me out. We had an early game, so
I know everybody’s trying to get out of here. We’ve got a storm coming
in, that’s what I heard.
“You can’t make that call right there. We were battling. Usually
pickoff plays like that, it has to be blatant–like I’m one thousand
This is why I could never do play-by-play or color work for ballgames. If I did, there is a 1000% chance that I would ascribe some percentage of outness to Denard Span every single time he didn’t reach base safely, most likely beating it to death as the season wore on.
And if I were one of his teammates, I would, without question, be at the mall this morning having “1000% out” t-shirts made for everyone in the clubhouse.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)