Jun 18, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann, who underwent Tommy John surgery last August, threw 35 pitches in a two-inning simulated game at Nationals Park on Friday, according to Byron Kerr of MASNSports.com.
“I have been throwing 100 percent for a while now. I haven’t had a
setback, knock on wood. Everything is going perfectly.”
Willie Harris was one of the batters who faced Zimmermann and he provided some rave reviews to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
“He looked good,” Harris said. “He was Jordan Zimmermann, man. He was
nasty. Live arm. Breaking pitches were good. He’s way of ahead of
schedule. It shows how hungry he is.”
So the big question, of course, is when will he join Stephen Strasburg in the starting rotation? Well, it could be sooner than you think.
Zimmermann said he hopes to join High-A Potomac in early July, while Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told Kilgore that the 24-year-old right-hander is on track to return to the majors sometime between Aug. 1 and Aug. 15.
The Nationals might not stick around much longer in the National League East, but with these two arms, Nationals Park will be a pretty exciting place well through September.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 23
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 57
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 71
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 95
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)