Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
There’s no reason in the world why it takes 15 months to figure out that (a) the Athletics aren’t viable in Oakland Coliseum; and (b) they probably need to move to San Jose, but baseball has been studying the matter that long and there is still no indication that it’s going to issue a report any time soon.
Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college fraternity brother, for crying out loud — has been patient. But his patience is wearing thin:
“It’s a little frustrating. I’m disappointed we haven’t
had the decision we need from Major League Baseball. It’s been 15 months
and we’re desperate for a new venue. But baseball has its own time
frame. There’s not much we can do. We’re following the process
established by the commissioner.”
Not that thin, I guess, but you have to figure that he’s agitating like hell behind the scenes for baseball to do something. If it was anyone other than the Bud-compliant Wolff, I’d suggest just announcing that the stadium is being built and that you’re moving the team by a date certain and make Major League Baseball and the Giants do something.
Do they have the guts to sue? I don’t know, but making such an announcement wouldn’t cost any money and it would certainly force everyone’s hand.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)