Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
There’s no reason in the world why it takes 15 months to figure out that (a) the Athletics aren’t viable in Oakland Coliseum; and (b) they probably need to move to San Jose, but baseball has been studying the matter that long and there is still no indication that it’s going to issue a report any time soon.
Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college fraternity brother, for crying out loud — has been patient. But his patience is wearing thin:
“It’s a little frustrating. I’m disappointed we haven’t
had the decision we need from Major League Baseball. It’s been 15 months
and we’re desperate for a new venue. But baseball has its own time
frame. There’s not much we can do. We’re following the process
established by the commissioner.”
Not that thin, I guess, but you have to figure that he’s agitating like hell behind the scenes for baseball to do something. If it was anyone other than the Bud-compliant Wolff, I’d suggest just announcing that the stadium is being built and that you’re moving the team by a date certain and make Major League Baseball and the Giants do something.
Do they have the guts to sue? I don’t know, but making such an announcement wouldn’t cost any money and it would certainly force everyone’s hand.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 16
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)