Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
There’s no reason in the world why it takes 15 months to figure out that (a) the Athletics aren’t viable in Oakland Coliseum; and (b) they probably need to move to San Jose, but baseball has been studying the matter that long and there is still no indication that it’s going to issue a report any time soon.
Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college fraternity brother, for crying out loud — has been patient. But his patience is wearing thin:
“It’s a little frustrating. I’m disappointed we haven’t
had the decision we need from Major League Baseball. It’s been 15 months
and we’re desperate for a new venue. But baseball has its own time
frame. There’s not much we can do. We’re following the process
established by the commissioner.”
Not that thin, I guess, but you have to figure that he’s agitating like hell behind the scenes for baseball to do something. If it was anyone other than the Bud-compliant Wolff, I’d suggest just announcing that the stadium is being built and that you’re moving the team by a date certain and make Major League Baseball and the Giants do something.
Do they have the guts to sue? I don’t know, but making such an announcement wouldn’t cost any money and it would certainly force everyone’s hand.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)