Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
There’s no reason in the world why it takes 15 months to figure out that (a) the Athletics aren’t viable in Oakland Coliseum; and (b) they probably need to move to San Jose, but baseball has been studying the matter that long and there is still no indication that it’s going to issue a report any time soon.
Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college fraternity brother, for crying out loud — has been patient. But his patience is wearing thin:
“It’s a little frustrating. I’m disappointed we haven’t
had the decision we need from Major League Baseball. It’s been 15 months
and we’re desperate for a new venue. But baseball has its own time
frame. There’s not much we can do. We’re following the process
established by the commissioner.”
Not that thin, I guess, but you have to figure that he’s agitating like hell behind the scenes for baseball to do something. If it was anyone other than the Bud-compliant Wolff, I’d suggest just announcing that the stadium is being built and that you’re moving the team by a date certain and make Major League Baseball and the Giants do something.
Do they have the guts to sue? I don’t know, but making such an announcement wouldn’t cost any money and it would certainly force everyone’s hand.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)