Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
There’s no reason in the world why it takes 15 months to figure out that (a) the Athletics aren’t viable in Oakland Coliseum; and (b) they probably need to move to San Jose, but baseball has been studying the matter that long and there is still no indication that it’s going to issue a report any time soon.
Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college fraternity brother, for crying out loud — has been patient. But his patience is wearing thin:
“It’s a little frustrating. I’m disappointed we haven’t
had the decision we need from Major League Baseball. It’s been 15 months
and we’re desperate for a new venue. But baseball has its own time
frame. There’s not much we can do. We’re following the process
established by the commissioner.”
Not that thin, I guess, but you have to figure that he’s agitating like hell behind the scenes for baseball to do something. If it was anyone other than the Bud-compliant Wolff, I’d suggest just announcing that the stadium is being built and that you’re moving the team by a date certain and make Major League Baseball and the Giants do something.
Do they have the guts to sue? I don’t know, but making such an announcement wouldn’t cost any money and it would certainly force everyone’s hand.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 95
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)