Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
It’s pretty clear that no one can believe anything coming out of the
mouth of Coonelly. Not only is he a liar, he’s guilty of lying to the
fans. Can he ever be believed? What little credence the Pirates front office had with the public is
shredded. These guys are a joke.
– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Bob Smizik reacting to Frank Coonelly’s announcement yesterday that the Pirates had extended the contract of GM Neal Huntington and exercised the 2011 option for manager John Russell. He also calls Coonelly a fraud and a bunch of other things.
OK, yeah, it’s odd that Coonelly and the team wouldn’t announce that Huntington and Russell got extensions, but is this really a betrayal of the fans? Sure, they care about this to some degree, but Smizik’s outrage seems a bit out-sized here.
I think this is more about the media being angry that they weren’t kept in the loop about something to which they’re normally hip.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)