Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
It’s pretty clear that no one can believe anything coming out of the
mouth of Coonelly. Not only is he a liar, he’s guilty of lying to the
fans. Can he ever be believed? What little credence the Pirates front office had with the public is
shredded. These guys are a joke.
– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Bob Smizik reacting to Frank Coonelly’s announcement yesterday that the Pirates had extended the contract of GM Neal Huntington and exercised the 2011 option for manager John Russell. He also calls Coonelly a fraud and a bunch of other things.
OK, yeah, it’s odd that Coonelly and the team wouldn’t announce that Huntington and Russell got extensions, but is this really a betrayal of the fans? Sure, they care about this to some degree, but Smizik’s outrage seems a bit out-sized here.
I think this is more about the media being angry that they weren’t kept in the loop about something to which they’re normally hip.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)