Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT
It’s pretty clear that no one can believe anything coming out of the
mouth of Coonelly. Not only is he a liar, he’s guilty of lying to the
fans. Can he ever be believed? What little credence the Pirates front office had with the public is
shredded. These guys are a joke.
– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Bob Smizik reacting to Frank Coonelly’s announcement yesterday that the Pirates had extended the contract of GM Neal Huntington and exercised the 2011 option for manager John Russell. He also calls Coonelly a fraud and a bunch of other things.
OK, yeah, it’s odd that Coonelly and the team wouldn’t announce that Huntington and Russell got extensions, but is this really a betrayal of the fans? Sure, they care about this to some degree, but Smizik’s outrage seems a bit out-sized here.
I think this is more about the media being angry that they weren’t kept in the loop about something to which they’re normally hip.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)