Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 PM EST
It’s pretty clear that no one can believe anything coming out of the
mouth of Coonelly. Not only is he a liar, he’s guilty of lying to the
fans. Can he ever be believed? What little credence the Pirates front office had with the public is
shredded. These guys are a joke.
– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Bob Smizik reacting to Frank Coonelly’s announcement yesterday that the Pirates had extended the contract of GM Neal Huntington and exercised the 2011 option for manager John Russell. He also calls Coonelly a fraud and a bunch of other things.
OK, yeah, it’s odd that Coonelly and the team wouldn’t announce that Huntington and Russell got extensions, but is this really a betrayal of the fans? Sure, they care about this to some degree, but Smizik’s outrage seems a bit out-sized here.
I think this is more about the media being angry that they weren’t kept in the loop about something to which they’re normally hip.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)