Jun 18, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg completed his third major league start earlier tonight, allowing just one run over seven innings while striking out 10 as part of a no-decision against the White Sox. With President Obama — a White Sox fan — in attendance, the Nationals eventually lost the game 2-1 in 11 innings.
With the 10 strikeouts, Strasburg established a new rookie record with 32 strikeouts over his first three major league starts, passing J.R. Richard, who held the previous record with 29 over his first three starts with the Astros in 1971.
Strasburg gave up a quick run in the first inning on a groundout by Alex Rios, but he held the White Sox to just two hits from there. He retired 15 in a row at one point until giving up a single to Gavin Floyd to lead off the top of the sixth inning. And after issuing five free passes against the Indians on Sunday, he did not walk a batter on Friday.
Strasburg threw 59 out of 85 pitches for strikes and according to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, he had 19 pitches at 98 mph or above and two at 100 mph.
The rookie right-hander has a 1.86 ERA and 32/5 K/BB ratio over his first three big league starts. He’s scheduled to take on the Royals next Wednesday.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)