Jun 18, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg completed his third major league start earlier tonight, allowing just one run over seven innings while striking out 10 as part of a no-decision against the White Sox. With President Obama — a White Sox fan — in attendance, the Nationals eventually lost the game 2-1 in 11 innings.
With the 10 strikeouts, Strasburg established a new rookie record with 32 strikeouts over his first three major league starts, passing J.R. Richard, who held the previous record with 29 over his first three starts with the Astros in 1971.
Strasburg gave up a quick run in the first inning on a groundout by Alex Rios, but he held the White Sox to just two hits from there. He retired 15 in a row at one point until giving up a single to Gavin Floyd to lead off the top of the sixth inning. And after issuing five free passes against the Indians on Sunday, he did not walk a batter on Friday.
Strasburg threw 59 out of 85 pitches for strikes and according to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, he had 19 pitches at 98 mph or above and two at 100 mph.
The rookie right-hander has a 1.86 ERA and 32/5 K/BB ratio over his first three big league starts. He’s scheduled to take on the Royals next Wednesday.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)