Jun 18, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg is overshadowing every young pitcher in baseball right now, but as David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution notes 23-year-old Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson deserves some attention for what he’s done through 35 career starts.
After basically one full season in Atlanta’s rotation Hanson is 18-7 with a 3.08 ERA, .231 opponents’ batting average, and 202 strikeouts in 210 innings. Setting aside the insane hype for a moment, the Nationals should be thrilled if Strasburg begins his career with similar numbers.
Hanson’s control has been shaky at times with 3.2 walks per nine innings, but he’s handed out more than three free passes just twice in 14 starts this season and is 4-0 with a 2.03 ERA since a career-worst outing on May 20.
Hanson and 20-year-old stud Jason Heyward give the Braves one of the most promising young duos in all of baseball, and because he’s a four-time All-Star it’s easy to forget that Brian McCann is still just 26. Atlanta sitting atop the NL East in mid-June has certainly surprised a lot of people this season, but whoever takes over for Bobby Cox will also be inheriting a full cupboard for years to come.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights