Jun 18, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg is overshadowing every young pitcher in baseball right now, but as David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution notes 23-year-old Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson deserves some attention for what he’s done through 35 career starts.
After basically one full season in Atlanta’s rotation Hanson is 18-7 with a 3.08 ERA, .231 opponents’ batting average, and 202 strikeouts in 210 innings. Setting aside the insane hype for a moment, the Nationals should be thrilled if Strasburg begins his career with similar numbers.
Hanson’s control has been shaky at times with 3.2 walks per nine innings, but he’s handed out more than three free passes just twice in 14 starts this season and is 4-0 with a 2.03 ERA since a career-worst outing on May 20.
Hanson and 20-year-old stud Jason Heyward give the Braves one of the most promising young duos in all of baseball, and because he’s a four-time All-Star it’s easy to forget that Brian McCann is still just 26. Atlanta sitting atop the NL East in mid-June has certainly surprised a lot of people this season, but whoever takes over for Bobby Cox will also be inheriting a full cupboard for years to come.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 0
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)