Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki, originally considered day-to-day after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Thursday, was found to have a break upon being reexamined Friday and will miss 6-8 weeks.
It’s a harsh blow for the Rockies’ hopes. Already a disappointing 34-32 and behind three other teams in the NL West, they’ll have to go it without their best player, likely until early August. It doesn’t help matters that Eric Young Jr., who likely would have started with Tulo out, is set to miss at least a few more weeks with a fractured tibia he sustained on May 14.
The Rockies will move regular second baseman Clint Barmes to short in Tulo’s place. Stepping in at second could be the newly recalled Chris Nelson, a former first-round pick who had broken through with a nice .311/.384/.508 line at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Alternatives on the roster include veteran Melvin Mora and youngster Jonathan Herrera. The Rockies also have Kaz Matsui available in Triple-A, but he’s hit just .231/.262/.269 in 18 games for the Sky Sox. Nelson, though, is the one with offensive upside and should get the first shot to step in.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)