Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 PM EST
Troy Tulowitzki, originally considered day-to-day after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Thursday, was found to have a break upon being reexamined Friday and will miss 6-8 weeks.
It’s a harsh blow for the Rockies’ hopes. Already a disappointing 34-32 and behind three other teams in the NL West, they’ll have to go it without their best player, likely until early August. It doesn’t help matters that Eric Young Jr., who likely would have started with Tulo out, is set to miss at least a few more weeks with a fractured tibia he sustained on May 14.
The Rockies will move regular second baseman Clint Barmes to short in Tulo’s place. Stepping in at second could be the newly recalled Chris Nelson, a former first-round pick who had broken through with a nice .311/.384/.508 line at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Alternatives on the roster include veteran Melvin Mora and youngster Jonathan Herrera. The Rockies also have Kaz Matsui available in Triple-A, but he’s hit just .231/.262/.269 in 18 games for the Sky Sox. Nelson, though, is the one with offensive upside and should get the first shot to step in.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)