Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki, originally considered day-to-day after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Thursday, was found to have a break upon being reexamined Friday and will miss 6-8 weeks.
It’s a harsh blow for the Rockies’ hopes. Already a disappointing 34-32 and behind three other teams in the NL West, they’ll have to go it without their best player, likely until early August. It doesn’t help matters that Eric Young Jr., who likely would have started with Tulo out, is set to miss at least a few more weeks with a fractured tibia he sustained on May 14.
The Rockies will move regular second baseman Clint Barmes to short in Tulo’s place. Stepping in at second could be the newly recalled Chris Nelson, a former first-round pick who had broken through with a nice .311/.384/.508 line at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Alternatives on the roster include veteran Melvin Mora and youngster Jonathan Herrera. The Rockies also have Kaz Matsui available in Triple-A, but he’s hit just .231/.262/.269 in 18 games for the Sky Sox. Nelson, though, is the one with offensive upside and should get the first shot to step in.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)