Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki, originally considered day-to-day after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Thursday, was found to have a break upon being reexamined Friday and will miss 6-8 weeks.
It’s a harsh blow for the Rockies’ hopes. Already a disappointing 34-32 and behind three other teams in the NL West, they’ll have to go it without their best player, likely until early August. It doesn’t help matters that Eric Young Jr., who likely would have started with Tulo out, is set to miss at least a few more weeks with a fractured tibia he sustained on May 14.
The Rockies will move regular second baseman Clint Barmes to short in Tulo’s place. Stepping in at second could be the newly recalled Chris Nelson, a former first-round pick who had broken through with a nice .311/.384/.508 line at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Alternatives on the roster include veteran Melvin Mora and youngster Jonathan Herrera. The Rockies also have Kaz Matsui available in Triple-A, but he’s hit just .231/.262/.269 in 18 games for the Sky Sox. Nelson, though, is the one with offensive upside and should get the first shot to step in.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)