Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki, originally considered day-to-day after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Thursday, was found to have a break upon being reexamined Friday and will miss 6-8 weeks.
It’s a harsh blow for the Rockies’ hopes. Already a disappointing 34-32 and behind three other teams in the NL West, they’ll have to go it without their best player, likely until early August. It doesn’t help matters that Eric Young Jr., who likely would have started with Tulo out, is set to miss at least a few more weeks with a fractured tibia he sustained on May 14.
The Rockies will move regular second baseman Clint Barmes to short in Tulo’s place. Stepping in at second could be the newly recalled Chris Nelson, a former first-round pick who had broken through with a nice .311/.384/.508 line at Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Alternatives on the roster include veteran Melvin Mora and youngster Jonathan Herrera. The Rockies also have Kaz Matsui available in Triple-A, but he’s hit just .231/.262/.269 in 18 games for the Sky Sox. Nelson, though, is the one with offensive upside and should get the first shot to step in.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)