Jun 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Cliff Lee tossed a complete-game shutout in a 1-0 win over the Reds on Friday night. He scattered six hits while striking out seven and of course, walking none. Incredibly, the left-hander has walked only four batters over 77 2/3 innings this season.
Just to put things in perspective, Daisuke Matsuzaka exceeded Lee’s walk total for the entire season by issuing five free-passes in one inning against the Royals last month. Meanwhile, Lee hasn’t walked a single batter since June 2 against the Twins, a span
of 28 innings.
As we start to inch our way towards the All-Star break, it’s time to start thinking about his chance to make history. After Friday’s brilliant outing, Lee has a ridiculous 16.75 strikeout-to-walk ratio (67/4) through his first 10 starts. There’s still a while to go here, obviously, but if he keeps it up, Lee would be in a stratosphere all by himself. Bret Saberhagen currently holds the all-time record by posting a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 11 (143/13) with the Royals in 1994.
Things might not have went as Jack Z planned this season, but at least Lee’s trade value is increasing by the minute.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)