Jun 19, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Derek Jeter was scratched from Saturday’s interleague contest against the Mets due to a bruised right heel, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times.
Jeter suffered the injury while lunging for a base during Friday’s game, reports Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News. According to the team, Jeter is receiving treatment and is currently listed as day-to-day. Ramiro Pena will start in his place on Saturday while Kevin Russo plays third. That’s some potent left side of the infield.
Jeter was 1-for-5 last night, striking out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning against Francisco Rodriguez. The soon-to-be 36-year-old is batting just .209 (14-for-67) this month.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 16
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)