Jun 19, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Derek Jeter was scratched from Saturday’s interleague contest against the Mets due to a bruised right heel, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times.
Jeter suffered the injury while lunging for a base during Friday’s game, reports Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News. According to the team, Jeter is receiving treatment and is currently listed as day-to-day. Ramiro Pena will start in his place on Saturday while Kevin Russo plays third. That’s some potent left side of the infield.
Jeter was 1-for-5 last night, striking out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning against Francisco Rodriguez. The soon-to-be 36-year-old is batting just .209 (14-for-67) this month.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)