Jun 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Edinson Volquez is ahead of schedule. In fact, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he is tentatively penciled in to face the Mets on July 7.
“That’s what I’ve got on my (schedule), barring setbacks,” Dusty Baker
said. “We want to make sure he’s ready when he gets here.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said that the Reds may give him an extra day or two, but that a return before the All-Star break is possible.
Volquez, who underwent Tommy John surgery last August, has tossed eight scoreless innings over his first two minor league rehab starts with Class A Lynchburg, topping out at 97 mph on the radar gun. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, it is anticipated that he will only require four more rehab starts before a return from the disabled list.
In case you were curious, Volquez served his 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs while he was on the DL. Pretty sweet deal.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)