Jun 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Edinson Volquez is ahead of schedule. In fact, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he is tentatively penciled in to face the Mets on July 7.
“That’s what I’ve got on my (schedule), barring setbacks,” Dusty Baker
said. “We want to make sure he’s ready when he gets here.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said that the Reds may give him an extra day or two, but that a return before the All-Star break is possible.
Volquez, who underwent Tommy John surgery last August, has tossed eight scoreless innings over his first two minor league rehab starts with Class A Lynchburg, topping out at 97 mph on the radar gun. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, it is anticipated that he will only require four more rehab starts before a return from the disabled list.
In case you were curious, Volquez served his 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs while he was on the DL. Pretty sweet deal.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (104)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)