Jun 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Edinson Volquez is ahead of schedule. In fact, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he is tentatively penciled in to face the Mets on July 7.
“That’s what I’ve got on my (schedule), barring setbacks,” Dusty Baker
said. “We want to make sure he’s ready when he gets here.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said that the Reds may give him an extra day or two, but that a return before the All-Star break is possible.
Volquez, who underwent Tommy John surgery last August, has tossed eight scoreless innings over his first two minor league rehab starts with Class A Lynchburg, topping out at 97 mph on the radar gun. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, it is anticipated that he will only require four more rehab starts before a return from the disabled list.
In case you were curious, Volquez served his 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs while he was on the DL. Pretty sweet deal.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 17
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 86
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 98
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 95
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)