Jun 19, 2010, 5:01 PM EST
That’s right. Jered Weaver struck out 11 over seven shutout frames against the Cubs on Saturday afternoon, vaulting over Tim Lincecum for the major-league lead in strikeouts.
Here’s the leaderboard as of 4 p.m. ET:
Jered Weaver – 107
Tim Lincecum – 106
Dan Haren – 101
Adam Wainwright – 97
Clayton Kershaw – 97
Jon Lester – 96
Ricky Romero – 96
Yovani Gallardo – 94
Francisco Liriano – 93
Roy Halladay – 90
Weaver wouldn’t have been my first guess at the beginning of the season. In fact, he probably wouldn’t have been my tenth. Including today’s start, Weaver has averaged 7.67 K/9 during his career. He has averaged 10.17 K/9 over 94 2/3 innings this season. That’s quite a jump. Somebody much smarter than me needs to some research on this (hint-hint, Fangraphs).
Of course, if Stephen Strasburg’s first three major league starts are any indication, he’ll jump all these guys by the All-Star break, right?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)