Jun 19, 2010, 8:42 PM EST
White Sox starter Jake Peavy was scratched from a start on Thursday after complaining of discomfort in his throwing arm. He was later revealed to have inflammation and fluid in his shoulder, but the White Sox decided to let him pitch on Saturday anyway. Recipe for disaster, right?
Peavy held the Nationals to three singles and struck out seven batters on Saturday afternoon to earn his first complete-game shutout victory since August of 2005, when he was a starter for the Padres. The right-hander has allowed only four earned runs in his last 23 innings on the mound and he has racked up 15 strikeouts in that span. After a rough start to the season, he’s now 6-5 with a rapidly-falling 5.07 ERA and a respectable 1.26 WHIP.
Of course, Peavy isn’t the only member of the White Sox getting things right these days. The club has won a season-high five straight games and trails the AL Central-leading Twins by 5.5 games. It’s getting sunny on Chicago’s south side.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)