Jun 19, 2010, 3:08 PM EDT
Kyle Blanks was pulled from a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Portland this week in order to have his ailing right elbow re-examined, reports Dan Hayes of the North County Times.
Blanks was originally placed on the disabled list on May 18. He was allowed to rehab the injury after an initial MRI showed no significant damage. According to Padres manager Bud Black, a second MRI revealed
inflammation and “action around the elbow.”
“It’s kind of beat up in there,” Blanks said of his elbow. “It
could be a number of things. We’re just trying to figure out what
is the best course of action. I’ve still got to talk to the
trainers more and I guess see what is the best approach, whether
it’s best case or worst case.”
Blanks, 23, was batting just .157/.283/.324 with three home runs, 15 RBI and a 46/15 K/BB ratio over his first 102 at-bats before going on the disabled list. Listed at 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds, there were already concerns about his long-term durability in the outfield. This setback will do nothing to quell those fears.
By the way, tonight is Kyle Blanks bobblehead night at PETCO Park.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)