Jun 19, 2010, 3:08 PM EDT
Kyle Blanks was pulled from a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Portland this week in order to have his ailing right elbow re-examined, reports Dan Hayes of the North County Times.
Blanks was originally placed on the disabled list on May 18. He was allowed to rehab the injury after an initial MRI showed no significant damage. According to Padres manager Bud Black, a second MRI revealed
inflammation and “action around the elbow.”
“It’s kind of beat up in there,” Blanks said of his elbow. “It
could be a number of things. We’re just trying to figure out what
is the best course of action. I’ve still got to talk to the
trainers more and I guess see what is the best approach, whether
it’s best case or worst case.”
Blanks, 23, was batting just .157/.283/.324 with three home runs, 15 RBI and a 46/15 K/BB ratio over his first 102 at-bats before going on the disabled list. Listed at 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds, there were already concerns about his long-term durability in the outfield. This setback will do nothing to quell those fears.
By the way, tonight is Kyle Blanks bobblehead night at PETCO Park.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (192)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)