Jun 19, 2010, 3:08 PM EST
Kyle Blanks was pulled from a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Portland this week in order to have his ailing right elbow re-examined, reports Dan Hayes of the North County Times.
Blanks was originally placed on the disabled list on May 18. He was allowed to rehab the injury after an initial MRI showed no significant damage. According to Padres manager Bud Black, a second MRI revealed
inflammation and “action around the elbow.”
“It’s kind of beat up in there,” Blanks said of his elbow. “It
could be a number of things. We’re just trying to figure out what
is the best course of action. I’ve still got to talk to the
trainers more and I guess see what is the best approach, whether
it’s best case or worst case.”
Blanks, 23, was batting just .157/.283/.324 with three home runs, 15 RBI and a 46/15 K/BB ratio over his first 102 at-bats before going on the disabled list. Listed at 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds, there were already concerns about his long-term durability in the outfield. This setback will do nothing to quell those fears.
By the way, tonight is Kyle Blanks bobblehead night at PETCO Park.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (188)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)