Jun 19, 2010, 6:37 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg has only made three major league starts, but there’s already a groundswell of people who would like to see him pitch in the All-Star Game next month. And according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said that the organization wouldn’t object to him pitching in the game.
“The most a pitcher would go [in the All-Star Game] is for two, three innings,” Rizzo said. “Whatever they would need him to do, we would make sure that he does it because it’s an honor to play in it, it’s an honor to be asked. It’s a way for the National League to win the game and give the National League the extra game in the World Series.
“We would be honored that he would be an All-Star and he would certainly play in the All-Star Game. I would love it. If [Phillies manager] Charlie Manuel or MLB feels he is one of the best players in the league and he should be on the All-Star team, he would earn it and deserves it. I would embrace it.”
I’m not high on the idea that players should earn a spot on the All-Star team based on their first-half performance. I simply want to see the best players in the game. So that argument doesn’t have much merit with me. But I would be a little miffed if another deserving rookie like Jaime Garcia got snubbed in favor of Strasburg. Then again, Garcia has a 1.59 ERA over his first 13 starts this season, so barring a complete collapse over the next three weeks or so, he’s a virtual lock to make the team. That’s my only reservation, though.
Not only would the All-Star Game be an awesome national showcase for Strasburg, but I also feel that he would improve the chances of the National League winning home-field advantage in the World Series. And as a National League fan myself, that’s a pretty compelling reason to include him on the roster. We’ll see if Charlie Manuel agrees.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)