Jun 19, 2010, 8:19 AM EDT
Oh, how the worm has turned.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com on Friday that the team does in fact have interest in acquiring Roy Oswalt from the Astros.
“You know, we definitely are looking to improve our ballclub, and when
you have an opportunity, or might have an opportunity, to acquire
someone like that, you have to look at it and evaluate it and see if
that’s a possibility and see if it’s doable,” Ryan said.
Ryan adds that whatever interest the Rangers have in Oswalt is strictly preliminary.
“There hasn’t been really any conversations I’ve been aware of here in
the last week to 10 days,” Ryan said. “I think, from the Astros’
perspective, that would pick up as we would get closer to the
[non-waiver] Trade Deadline in July.”
Again, we’re hearing the word preliminary here, but remember than this franchise has an entire fanbase and the commissioner’s office to think about, so they obviously need to measure their words carefully. The fact that Ryan was even this specific about another team’s player is surprising.
There’s little doubt that the Rangers have one of the best farm systems in baseball, so the obvious hurdle is the franchise’s current financial constraints. They can’t take on significant payroll right now, however if the ownership situation can be sorted out by the trade deadline — something that has a good chance of happening — they should be able to go out and add whoever they see fit, whether it’s Oswalt or Cliff Lee.
And for what it’s worth, Roy Oswalt wouldn’t mind coming to the Rangers.
“I’m open,” he said. “Just have to wait and see what works for both of
For those keeping score at home, Oswalt would consider a trade to pretty much anyone, inclduing the Long Island Ducks.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)